ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bulking?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:06 am 
former lurker

I weigh about 182 lbs at 7%, and my eventual goal is being around 195 at about 6% b.f. Now naturally I'm trying to avoid getting fat while trying to bulk, but everyone I talk to tells me you've gotta pick between cutting and bulking, and you're likely to compromise both if you don't. My current intake is
225 g Protein
Approx. 250 g Carbs (basically fruits, veggies, oatmeal)
45 g Fats (flax, olive oil etc. )
I stick to big movements mostly - deadlifts, snatches, chins, squat variations, cleans, etc. and i've been making big gains in terms of strength, but i haven't put on a single pound in 2 months and it's driving me nuts. I'm getting more defined, but any ideas out there about the lack of bulk here - maybe more carbs or something? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could probably use more calories. I wouldn't go up much on the carbs though. If you are getting strength and not size you could need more reps. You might need to change your training protocol too. If you have been training the same way for a while you might have adapted. Maybe eat most of your carbs before and after your workout. That's when you really need them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:22 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

IMHO, you are way to low on calories. Your protocol looks just fine, no way woulod I recommend higher reps on cleans, snatches, etc; your form will break .
Calories, I roughly calculated between 2400 and 2500 that you are taking in based on your CPF values. Go way higher for your bodyfat. Up the C and F, especially don't be afraid of fat. It actually stimulates testosterone outpt to a degree. And at 7 % bodyfat, what the heck are you worried about etting fat for? Up the calories, keep a close eye on yourself, and if you see a roll or something close to it developing, cut back a bit.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

7% thats nice can u tell how u got it im at 12% last time i check i want to get down to a single number too i workout 4 times a week no cardio and my diet is pretty clean im 5'6 i weigh 150 and i usually dont eat the same everyday i would say i eat roughly 2000-3000 calories a day. tues back biceps thurs chest triceps sat legs sun abs shoulders mon wednes fri i rest. i just think if i add more muscle by bf would go down more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:28 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just as for reference. I am 180lbs @ 17% body fat according to BIA machine. Basically I have a barely visable 6-pack, but when I bend forward you can see a small roll.

Anyway, I am bulking and my daily intake is 3500 calories on non-trainng days and 3800 calories on training days. I am ectomorphic and this is my current optimal intake level to grow, but not get too fat. I eat clean about 90-95% of the time.