Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Obesity "Conspiracy"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin-st ... 20398.html

Got this from Tony Genticores blog. I quite liked it so thought i would share.

KPJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:22 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I'm definately NOT a fan of the Huffington Post, but that article was pretty factual, in more ways than one, not necessarily just about the food mfr's and obesity. What struck me right off, is that you could ask anyone on the streets who was winning in American Idol, or Dancing with the stars, but they probably wouldn't be able to name their congressman, couldn't tell you who Kim jong-il was, and definately would believe all the ridiculous TV commercials by Kellogs telling you your best breakfast ever was sugar coated shredded wheat biscuits. I could go on and on, but unfortunately, the writer had a pretty valid point.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 am 

TimD wrote:
I'm definately NOT a fan of the Huffington Post, but that article was pretty factual.
Tim

I agree with statement wholeheartedly, and even stated this on another forum.

Additionally, I'd like to see a similar chart comparing Diabetes also.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:36 am 

It makes me angry how companies are getting away with this. One thing that I don't understand how people can't put together is, our grandparent's generation never had an obesity problem, they ate a lot of fat so why should we be CUTTING fat? Why don't we just eat what they used to eat, make a whole new diet out of it if you want and sell it!

What's the point of margarine, butter never made anyone obese 50 years ago so why do we need an alternative?

I can't believe I'm still getting taught at uni that saturated fat is the devil and complex carbs are the way forward!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 am 

Nevage wrote:
It makes me angry how companies are getting away with this. One thing that I don't understand how people can't put together is, our grandparent's generation never had an obesity problem, they ate a lot of fat so why should we be CUTTING fat? Why don't we just eat what they used to eat, make a whole new diet out of it if you want and sell it!

What's the point of margarine, butter never made anyone obese 50 years ago so why do we need an alternative?

I can't believe I'm still getting taught at uni that saturated fat is the devil and complex carbs are the way forward!!

While I agree with you on Face Value, There is a flaw in your logic.

And Here it is....

My Grandfather worked as a Mechanic All of his life. On his feet lifting tugging, pulling, and pushing heavy and/or non-movable objects all day long. Then went home and worked around the house.

Comparatively, I work at a desk all day long, sitting and basically only moving my fingers or possibly my forearm as I type or move the mouse. Then Go home, play with the girls and maybe hit the gym for an hour.

So, that being said, If I ate how my grandfather ate and remained small, I would be extremely Obese.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:46 am 

The Huffington Post does get it right once in a while.

The article is basically a critique of Michelle Obama's program to end childhood obiesity with the goal of getting it back to where it was in 1970. I found that interesting. The obvious answer to me is that what we were doing in 1970 was right and changes since then have been wrong, so to get back to where we were, reverse the decisions made in the 70s that are not supported by modern research. I like this quote: "Your grandparents were raised in a generation aware that God's supermarket was better than man's."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:46 am 

I don't really know much about the newspaper, so couldn't comment on that. It's just great when we see "press" like this, though. One of the most common counterpoints I get is, "so why are we told by everyone that saturated fat clogs up our arteries and causes heart disease"... I end up feeling like it's me against the world. Why would people listen to me?

One subject i've been meaning for a while now to find out more about is the tobacco industry cover up. I've seen a few people say the sugar industry are basically doing what the tobacco industry done. I know at first smoking wasn't thought to be harmful but I don't really know to what extent they went to try and convince people it wasn't unhealthy or whatever. It seems like a good counter point to the above counter point i.e. "well it's been done before!". However, I need to know more about it first.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 am 

wilburburns wrote:
Nevage wrote:

While I agree with you on Face Value, There is a flaw in your logic.

And Here it is....

My Grandfather worked as a Mechanic All of his life. On his feet lifting tugging, pulling, and pushing heavy and/or non-movable objects all day long. Then went home and worked around the house.

Comparatively, I work at a desk all day long, sitting and basically only moving my fingers or possibly my forearm as I type or move the mouse. Then Go home, play with the girls and maybe hit the gym for an hour.

So, that being said, If I ate how my grandfather ate and remained small, I would be extremely Obese.

Cliff

Yeah good point, didn't even think about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:00 am 

I was born in 49, grew up in the 50's and 60's, and have seen all things come and go, Andy (Doc) isn't too far behind me, and can verify most of what I'm going to say. My parents grew up in the Depression, didn't waste anything, and Mom NEVER bought anything prepackaged if she could make it from scratch. Fat wasn't a concern, but we didn't overdo it on sausage and bacon. We had cherry and apricot trees out back, and Mom used to can/dehydrate them for storage, and grew most of our vegetables out back. Once in a blue moon Dad would take us out to the A and W for a burger and dipped cone. The only time we got soft drinks was when we went to see Grandma and Grandpa, and they'd spoil us with a 6 ounce bottle of Coke. (Boy they were good in those old green bottles). Then the scientists put their heads together, started pushing low fat, high starchy carbs, and bingo. People stated getting fat, type II diabetes started getting prevalent, and most attempts to change this (Stillman-60's, Atkins later on, and similar groups) were met head on by the agri/mfr lobbies, such as Nabisco/Kellogs. Enough of this rant on the food.
Nevage also brought up a good point. Manual labor jobs were way more prevalent back then than they are now, and more people walked or rode bikes to where they were going. One car families were the norm, and Dad usually had it to go to work. Things have changed considerably in both the activity/food choice areas.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 am 

I was having a similar conversation with my dad a week or so ago. It was a good conversation but, I still don't think he pays any attention to what I say. Anyway....

He told me about these adverts that were always on when he was a boy - "Go to work on an egg".

Being as sad as i am, I YouTubed it. Don't know if this is the exact one, but I liked it anyway.

We need more adverts like these,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGr5y2tNoqM

"Good value is egg shaped" - nice!

EDIT: Had to add this. Just seems too appropriate. Dean Martin knew the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hku_87B ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:22 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
One of the most common counterpoints I get is, "so why are we told by everyone that saturated fat clogs up our arteries and causes heart disease"... I end up feeling like it's me against the world. Why would people listen to me?

Its horrible in my office - yo-yo dieting 30-45 year old women talking about how many points their horror bars are (y'know the 20 calorie sugar spike bars with fat free chocolate chips, the psuedo sugar coating "SUGAR FREE - 20 CALS!") - their "healthy" low fat yoghurt and fruit breakfast, their 200 calorie pasta dinner with a few little beads of fat free chicken in. It's just low cal carb spike after low cal carb spike.

Then I'll get "oo you shouldn't drink that much milk I read in the paper some 17 year old athlete dropped dead and he was drinking lots of milk"

"How do you not get fat eating all that"

I'd take it as a compliment if I hadn't, 24 hours before, told them exactly why me eating 3500 calories (1500 of which is fat) doesn't make me fat, where as their carb nightmare diets do make them and keep them fat.

The next day it's "Apparently celery is a super food, you burn triple the calories digesting it than it has in it" - for the love of god... truly believing that adding a few sticks of celery to their diet is going to help loose a few lbs of fat....

They protect the notion too - as if I just have this farout wacky "gym guy" diet that only works for 20 something males and all their f***ing glossy magazines are right, the "Beyonce diet" where you drink a lemon/water drink three or four times a day FOR TEN DAYS!!!! really... look it up....

Just talking about it hurts my very soul... :evil:

It makes me think I could be an award winning personal trainer now, get one of these women, force a normal diet minus a few hundred calories, hey presto, an amazing new diet - they can call it the quadruple fat diet, and their friends can do it (but you know, half the fat and half the calories because their vacation is coming up and they are doing 100 situps to get a slim waist)

*pushes stack of post its off desk* Thick bastards... *whine*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 am 

my favourite one is when I'm sitting eating chicken breasts and broccoli, and one of my work colleagues says:

"Eating all that meat'll make you fat one day"

Um, when?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 am 

KPj wrote:
...One subject i've been meaning for a while now to find out more about is the tobacco industry cover up. I've seen a few people say the sugar industry are basically doing what the tobacco industry done. I know at first smoking wasn't thought to be harmful but I don't really know to what extent they went to try and convince people it wasn't unhealthy or whatever. It seems like a good counter point to the above counter point i.e. "well it's been done before!". However, I need to know more about it first.

KPj

Just Google "tobacco cover up" and you'll find all kinds of stuff. The Tobacco industry is notorious for covering up the health hazzards of tobacco to protect their income stream. Given the behavior of the junk food and pharmaceutical industries, there are definate parallels.

Of course the definitive info is always on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_in ... d_Statesry

The main difference between junk food and tobacco is that there is no clear toxicity in junk food as there is in tobacco. There is even disagreement as to what constitutes a healthy diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:28 am 

robertscott wrote:
my favourite one is when I'm sitting eating chicken breasts and broccoli, and one of my work colleagues says:

"Eating all that meat'll make you fat one day"

Um, when?

ya, I hear that stuff all the time. All the chicken I eat is gonna give me a heart attack and deadlifting is going to throw my back out. I guess I'm screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I say what ever. Natural selection will make all these people so weak and fat that we, (exrx members) will take over and reign supremecy.