ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:15 am 
Novice
Novice

Ive been looking into a Westside type routine, where it calls for around 3 sets of 6-8 reps for the accessory muscles (triceps, delts..). Now my question is, should this be 3 sets all at the same weight...or 3 advancing sets with the 3rd being a top set (like 100, 120, 140lbs for example). Or does it really not matter? I was thinking the latter version would be more suited for a strength routine, which this is, since you're using more weight for the last set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:57 am 

It really doesn't matter for the westside approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:12 am 
Novice
Novice

ok, cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:41 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Jeff, Ryan is correct, however, Westside is a breed within itself. I would advise going to goheavy.com, go into the articles section, and read everything about westide.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:42 pm 

This is very true.

I spent a lot of time reading about their ideas though, so if you read over their stuff I am sure you can post questions here as well.

They basically use these sets as hypertrophy training on their weak areas to give them more muscle. They use the main lifts to strengthen those weak areas or they use the main lift to simulate some aspect of the comp lift they need work on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:58 am 
Novice
Novice

I read that those sets arent supposed to be to failure, just to work the supporters, so you are guys are right...it doesnt matter. Its really hard for me to not work towards failure though, its like an addiction! Like i have to go until i have nothing left.

Unrelated question - What do you guys think of doing shoulders the day after benching?? Like a split with Mondays and Thursdays being Chest/Back...and Tuesdays and Fridays being Legs/Shoulders. Im trying not to do shoulders and chest on the same day, and im no longer able to work out on Saturdays or Sundays for the time being so these days are the only options. Benching prior to doing overhead presses in the same workout fatigues my front delts too much, so thats why i want them on seperate days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:48 am 

Hi Jeff. I read an article by Louie Simmons, probably over 10 years ago. with a similar notion. It was about bringining up a lagging bodypart. He suggested just that,i.e, to use the bodypart, in my case it was the lower back, and hit it with reps, in the 15-20 range, but with about a 30% load, the dat after the ME I did it for two weeks running, and it worked for me. I can't say if it will work for you, but you may want to try it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:30 pm 

I am not sure exactly how closely you are following a westside style routine but it would probably be best to do as you are doing but only do it once per week. You should have a light/heavy day with the westside stuff and you can just pick the day after one of those days and make it your shoulder day. It would be best if you could do it on your light/DE leg day so you had more time and could keep your workouts shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

I never actually began doing a Westside routine, was just something ive been considering. I have a different routine i just started.Im trying out the split i mentioned, with doing shoulders the day after bench. If I regress at all in my bench and shoulder workouts or dont make any progress in 2 weeks, ill can it and probably do a Westside type.