ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Hello.

I've been eating a pretty strict paleo-style diet (protein shakes are the exception) since December. I've lost about 50 pounds, putting me at about 6', 190lbs.

Now that I have started lifting again (3 weeks in), I am having an experience that i just wanted to run by folks who have done something similar.

The day after I lift, I am RAVENOUS. We are talking 2 lunches, fish oil capsules, two protein shakes, big breakfasts - I probably eat twice as much on these days as on my lifting days. Is the muscle stimulus from the lifting causing me to reach for more eats? Or is this a mental thing that is happening here? The call to eat food is almost unbearable on my off days, and this is new since adding the lifting to my regimen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:15 am 

There are a couple of questions that come to mind. What time of day do you train? How much do you eat after workouts? Do you feel sweaty long after you stop working out?

If you train early in the day, it would be normal to eat more later that day. A lot of people have a loss of appetite right after their workout and get hungrier later. If you train late in the day, that would explain why you're hungry the next day. If your workout is a particularily intense metabolic workout you would continue to burn calories for a significant time after wards. You would recognize that by being hotter than normal for some time after your workout. This could also have a delayed effect on your appetite.

The bottom line is do what your body tells you. You appetite is being stimulated when you need it to be stimulated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 am 
Novice
Novice

I train around 1800hrs. After workouts I normally have a protein shake with some coconut oil and water, then shower - then after my shower, I'll sit down and have 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, maybe some steak or chicken or something, a ton of veggies, etc. I definitely get warm and stay warm for a while after lifting, but I find myself sweating more while sleeping the night after I lift than right after my lifts.

stuward wrote:
There are a couple of questions that come to mind. What time of day do you train? How much do you eat after workouts? Do you feel sweaty long after you stop working out?

If you train early in the day, it would be normal to eat more later that day. A lot of people have a loss of appetite right after their workout and get hungrier later. If you train late in the day, that would explain why you're hungry the next day. If your workout is a particularily intense metabolic workout you would continue to burn calories for a significant time after wards. You would recognize that by being hotter than normal for some time after your workout. This could also have a delayed effect on your appetite.

The bottom line is do what your body tells you. You appetite is being stimulated when you need it to be stimulated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:02 am 

I would suggest that you keep doing what your doing and see if you like the effect it's having on your body. I expect that you're building muscle. Give a month or so. If you want to lean out a little, experiment with fasting prior to your workouts. I wouldn't be worried about your day after appetitie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

2 or 3 eggs? That's not much food unless they're ostrich eggs. Keep track of everything you're eating - write it down if need be - it might not be enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:22 am 

Enough for what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Not being hungry? Achieving maximum muscle gains?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:54 am 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
I would suggest that you keep doing what your doing and see if you like the effect it's having on your body. I expect that you're building muscle. Give a month or so. If you want to lean out a little, experiment with fasting prior to your workouts. I wouldn't be worried about your day after appetitie.

Well it's been a few months, I'm still adding to all of my lifts and hovering at roughly the same body weight (191 the other day). I've just been "going with it".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

what's the significance of staying hot and sweaty for a while after the workout?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 am 

robertscott wrote:
what's the significance of staying hot and sweaty for a while after the workout?

It's called afterburn or EPOC. It's an effect of the training that causes increased calorie burn after the activity stops. It also decreases appetite immediately after the activity.

Jack, are you getting leaner while maintaining the weight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

I see more veins and so forth in my hands, feet, and arms, but nothing else really. My waist size hasn't changed in several months (32").

What I have found is that my weight fluctuates greatly from week to week, between 190ish and 200, depending entirely on how strict I am with the carb intake. I think the gains are just water retention, because it drops like a stone when I cut back on the starches for a few days. I haven't touched less than 190. To be fair though I've been cheating a lot, my recently acquired female companion is a sweets fiend.

I've had a couple body fat analysis tests (the hand held thing, which I guess is really inaccurate) and I haven't seen any appreciable change in three months (the reports have both been right around ~18%). So that's 6', 190ish, 32" waist. I am getting stronger though, so I guess I probably shouldn't worry too much.