ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

just curious what you like to eat before after a workout.

as soon as i get home from gym i like to have a big glass of milk and a banana. my fav meal after is just something that my wife and i created one night when we really didnt know what to make, cook a bunch of rice (anykind), mix black beans lentils red kidney beans diced tomatos corn garlic + any other veggies we have or want, add some pasta sauce. cover rice with some of the sauce mixture, add sliced or shredded cheese. on the side have a bunch of brocolli (i love the stuff). it is very filling and tasty. the odd time we may add meat but i prefer without.

fav meal before gym, which is usually in the morning, is a bowl of cheerios with an orange and the classic pb&j sandwich.

i am not looking at this in a nutritional value way, although it looks as though both meals would be decent on the proteins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:56 pm 
I have a whey protein shake before and after every weight workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:22 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Eric. I love the lentils and rice thing. I do spin offs of that all the time. I will usually take some type of grain, brown rice, barley, or the kashi mix (not the cold cereal, the actual mix you have to cook), and mix it with lentils, black eye peas, or frijoles negro or colorado. I love the combos, and they are endles. I usually book up a pot, and keep the mix in the fridge, they hold up for a while. My favorite breakfast is what I prefer in the morning and after a workout. Pre workout, usually nothing. That meal is, take a bit of some type of chopped meat, fish , whatever, put it in a tupperware (use any leftovers you have), throw in a half pound of chopped frozen spinach, broccoli, or whatever, nuke it in the microwave with the meat, pour off the excess liquid. Stir it all up, add a good pich of feta cheese, and a third of a cup the grain, bean mixture, season to taste, and throw two eggs or the euivalent in substitute over the top, mix well, and nuke it again in the microwave. It's kind of a custless quiche. I know, real men don't eat quiche, but I love the stuff. Spice it up big time with chopped garlic, etc.
If you think you need more carbs, well fine, add some fruit on the side.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:44 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ironman, do you drink that protein shake right before your workout?

Unless I let about 2 hours pass since eating, I start to get twinges of nausea while working out.

Does that shake not affect you like that at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shakes won't affect it. Small meals are 45 to 60 minutes. You should only need 2 hours on a big meal. The stuff I have is just 20 grams of whey plus flavoring. It isn't filling at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:15 pm 

My normal routine for pre-workout:

1 hour before I take a mixture of 23 grams of whey protein and 23 grams of casein.
20 minutes prior, I take 2 scoop of NOxPlode (ego/mind thing see some of my previous posts) with one scoop of Powerade or Gatorade.

Since I have started doing this, I have NEVER felt weak. I have also never had the feeling that I just don't "have it today." On a side note, I am always extemely thirsty the first set. I usually drink 20-24 ounces of water the first set.

Post-workout, I usually eat what my wife is cooking. I have been very happily married for 12 years. I have learned that I eat what she cooks and not to spoil my appitite. Happy wife - Happy life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

hoosegow wrote:
Happy wife - Happy life.

That's the truth, unfortunately for me, my wife and I are on opposite work schedules these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Before a workout I like oatmeal, after a workout something with lots of protein; a regular meal.

I mean if I have a hamburger 2 hours before a workout, it's not enough time for me to digest it or have that hamburger turn into usuable energy. I.e., I'm belching it up. So I prefer complex carbs before working out. Afterwards I'll start off with some fruit then progress to the meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:51 pm 
n00b
n00b

I have to bolt out the door at 5:00 A.M. to get any time at the gym (having a 1 year old mixes up the schedule a little).

Anyway, I have about a 25 minute ride, so I wolf down a banana, snack-box of raisins and some variant of a Kashi bar on the way. I usually wash all of that down with black coffee or some kind of high-octane, sugar free energy drink.

Afterward, I take my creatine with about 150 calories of a simple-carb drink and chase that with a whey protein shake (usually Isopure and skim milk/ approx 420 calories).

Since I'm not pushed for time on Saturdays, I usually eat a gloriously unhealthy breakfast after a high intensity workout. (Country ham, biscuits, eggs and cheese grits from a local joint here in Athens).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:53 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sounds like a good breakfast.

I've also started waking up early to get a workout in. I only have to wake up 1 hour earlier. I'm not a morning person, but I'm surprised at how much I benefit from an early workout.

So now, my day ends at 5 p.m. If I want to do some stationary bike or additional ab work at night, fine. If not, fine. Win-win situation.

Post subject: smith
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:35 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]