ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: trap-bar squats
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

Anyone ever use the trap bar for squats? I am having difficulty with regular barbell squats due to some past shoulder probs. I can't, without lots of pain hold the bar long. I've tried db squats but they feel too akward and the weights kill the hands. So if you have done trap bar squats, how effective are they for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:55 pm 

First of all, I think they are more often called a trap bar deadlift although it is true you simulate the center of gravity more like a squat, you dont get as much depth as a squat. In order to get similar depth, you would probably need to stand on a platform.

I have not done them for quite some time but they can be effective.

With regard to squatting, have you tried holding the bar farther out near the collars instead of shoulder width? This can help a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:57 pm 
Other alternatives to regular squats include barbell hack squats and front squats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:59 am 
You should try hip belt squats. Here is a picture and description of a hip belt from Ironminds site.

Keith

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... umber=1220

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:57 am 
n00b
n00b

I did some research, there is a difference in a trap bar deadlift and trapbar lift. I found an entire article on it. The differences are small. I tried t-bar squats the other day... even if I was not having shoulder probs doing barbell quats, I would not go back. Doing squats with a trap bar are awsome. Eventually I may have to do them on stand, but for now they feel good,and form is easy to maintain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:46 am 

I've only ever seen trapbars used for shrugs, and to improve grip strength. Are you holding the bar up by your shoulders? If you're not then I just don't see how you can be getting a full enough ROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:41 pm 
n00b
n00b

Here is some info on trap bar squats from Dolzine Fitness Online

Trap Bar Squats

Some people feel this exercise is more like a deadlift than a squat. Still, for those who have already perfected squat form and cannot deal with spinal compression, trap bar squats will allow you to handle heavy loads. Best of all, your palms face your body which is their natural position when standing. You do need to locate a bar that fits your anatomy (they come in various sizes and weights). Trap Bars are also excellent for stiff-legged deadlifts, regular deadlifts, shrugs and shoulder presses.

The real difference between a squat and a deadlift using a trap bar is in the execution. If you use it to deadlift, you would start by picking it up off the floor or a low rack. If used for squatting, start in the standing position, squat down, then return to the standing position.

Extremely detailed information about
trap bar squats (and most other basic exercises) can be found in Stuart McRobert's "The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training
Technique," which can be ordered through http://www.hardgainer.com

This is an excellent book with good photos that should be in everyone's fitness library. On page 69, Stuart mentions trap bar deadlifts as being an excellent squat alternative and refers readers to page 163, where he discusses trap bars and the execution of the exercise in detail.

The problem becomes holding on to very heavy loads for the duration of the set. You can use straps or use an open rack set-up so that you can pick the bar up, take a couple of steps forward or backward, do the number of reps you can, and easily re-rack the bar.

Post subject: Jordan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:59 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]