ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:06 am 
Rookie
Rookie

What role does bodyweight play into how much you can bench?? Lets say for example theres 2 guys..one weighs 150 and can max 300. The other guy weighs 400 and maxes 320. Why is it the guy who weighs less will be looked at as accomplishing the bigger feat?? Obviously bodyweight must matter or there wouldnt be divisions in competition...but why? Just wondering how extra weight is an advantage in an exercise where you are lying on your back??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:54 am 

Well smaller guys do have better leverage so that actually does count against him but the example you gave is sort of extreme. I mean obviously if you weigh 400 and cant bench more than 320 barring some serious physical problem you arent very strong. It is about what you do with what you have.

Now if you compare someone who is 150 benching 300 to someone who is 200 benching 350. It becomes harder to say who has done something better. I mean, obviously you can compare to wha tothers have done at different weights by looking at records.

More mass just makes everything easier because you have larger girth in your arms usually (in the case of the bench press). The larger "trunk" of the relevant muscle makes the load easier to bear in general. This is why for instance, lighter lifters deadlift more than they squat but heavier guys squat more than they deadlift. Usually the lighter guys just cant handle the weight bearing down on their small torsos.'

Not sure if that helps but those are my thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:00 am 
Quote:
Why is it the guy who weighs less will be looked at as accomplishing the bigger feat??

How can you not see it as a bigger feat? What you are comparing is strength relatie to bodyweight. The 150 lbs lifter can press 200% of his bodyweight while the 400 lbs lifter can only lift 80% of his. That's certainly more impressive to me.

Post subject: Edward
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:56 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]