ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Steve, Mattz, Elemental and Ironman for your imput.
Just one short question for now.
If it is ok to train two days in a row, ensuring that you don't work the same muscle group on each day, then why as templates suggest, do we not lift on the third,sixth and seventh day?wwxwwxx. If you ensure that you don't work the same muscle group two days in a row, then why not lift everyday. It would appear that the whole body needs a rest day, but why?

And while I'm here, has any one had adverse effects from eating a lot of tuna. I thought tuna (being high in protein) in Wholemeal bread would be a quick and easy small meal to eat throughout the day while at work. Perhaps not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:06 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey Dean, that was a good question and got me wondering too. Wikipedia explains the following causes for overtraining:

* Microtrauma to the muscles are created faster than the body can heal them.
* Amino acids are used up faster than they are supplied in the diet. This is sometimes called "nitrogen deficiency".
* The body becomes calorie-deficient and the rate of break down of muscle tissue increases.
* Levels of cortisol (the "stress" hormone) are elevated for long periods of time.
* The body spends more time in a catabolic state than an anabolic state (perhaps as a result of elevated cortisol levels).

Now obviously the first one can be avoided by not training the same muscle group, but the other four are going to be caused by training too much overall, since all muscles use the same nutrients and cortisol increases no matter what you're working out. Usually you need at least two days of rest a week for your whole body to recover.

As for tuna and wholemeal bread that's a great meal (as long as you're not slopping on the mayo). You want to eat low glycemic carbs (whole wheat foods, brown rice, dairy, vegetable, certain fruits, etc.) If you're unsure about a carbs glycemic index just google "glycemic index" there's tons of sites that list it for virtually everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:53 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

No need to waste bandwidth reposting this here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:51 am 
Yea Dean, 2 days in a row is ok if it is different muscles. You can overtrain if you lift every day though. As a beginner it is not a big deal, it is later that it becomes a problem.

Tuna could have high murcurey levels. The thing is nobody knows exactly how much. It is really only a problem for kids. So kids and pregnant women should keep it to a minimum. For you go ahead and eat it. Someone mentioned salmon, that's another good thing to eat. Quite tastey too.

By the way, keep the workouts to an hour or less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:20 pm 

I too went through a (rather long) phase of working out every day, and for a long time didn't see any negative effects, so if you're about 19 (I've very recently turned 20), male, with access to a gym, and you have a high metabolism and eat alot you may be able to give lifting every day a try. However, I've backed off of that recently (I've also gone to a pretty low volume training regimen for the end of school), and now try to rest 1/3 of the time.

my schedule used to look like:
chest
back
shoulders
legs (w/deadlift)
rest

and now looks more like
chest + shoulders
legs + back
rest

Honestly, I think I was just running an ATP deficiency for a while, so I would enter the workout with 'tired' muscles (note that I made gains, but perhaps not as big as they could have been).

Post subject: Joshua
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:32 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]