ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:54 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Had a quick scan through the low carb lifestyle thread and did a search for "%" within it, so appols if it is amongst a sticky but couldn't find quickly

Yesterday I ended up pretty low on calories on my first low carb day - so when I got home I ensured I added oils/cheeses/nuts to the two meals I had to bring it up to a more sensible 2500 (from about 1800/1900)

But when I checked the balance, it was around the 65% mark for fat and (obviously) 25-30% from protein which was around 220 grams of protein.

Is this expected? or should I have loaded protein up to 260/300 and dropped a few grams of fat?

I realise that it can and will vary, but considering this will be quite a shock to my system (to be around 30-60g of carbs) and it will be quite persistent (2 months at least, depending on results and gym performance) I would like to know what the aim should be.

I include fish, fish oil capsules, seed oils (limited, its a 2:1:1 3/6/9 ratio oil, mainly used for the omega 3) - I hit my RDAs via good veg (kale/broccoli) and still include kiwi, my lunch is always meat and my dinner always contains meat too - so Its not like I'm downing vegetable oil and cream for my 70% fats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

65% is fine.

I'd say my fat % is as high as 75-80% on some days.

Sounds good to me, I aim to keep sats, monos and polys equal if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:50 pm 

I struggle mightly when I try to eat perfect with getting enough calories. I think you are going about it the right way with eating some good fats. You can always add peanut butter. Avocados are good, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:37 pm 

You don't have to consciously plan to balance your fats. Get extra O3, preferably from fish. Meat has a blend of Sat, mono and poly already. So does dairy. Don't go out of your way to add O6. You get enough anyway. Avoid seed oils as that would give you way too much and it's probably rancid. The good plant based oils are olive, avocado, nuts and coconut. There are different opinions as to the best ratio of protein to fat. You're getting enough. Don't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:31 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

thanks all, had a few days off forum spamming :) I pretty much carried on as I was, going to use fish oil like 3-a-day medication now though (as opposed to randomly) - I do eat around 4 fish meals a week still though, this usually includes two tuna salad (i.e. im not having a salmon dinner 4 times a week, dont think id like that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was thought to be the case. However there isn't really any evidence to support that.