ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:40 pm 

hoosegow wrote:
Why Public Enemy over NWA?

My answer to that question proves you are right, and NWA should be listed above PE...

Damn it, I love me some chuck D though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:42 pm 

How about the 30 most influential bands of the past 5 years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:43 pm 

Matt Z wrote:
Someone should start a thread on the most destructive influences in music over the past 30 years. Just off the top of my head I can think of autotune, Disney, boy bands, music videos, American Idol and Guitar Hero.

Autotune, used sparingly, with the intention of fluxing a voice isn't all that bad.

Its abuse is brutal though, so on that aspect I agree.

Justin Timberlake came from disney and boy bands, so they aren't all bad either, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
I'm a little limited in my musical tastes as they were generally formed by 1970. In my opinion, the last great band ended when John Bonham died. Since then there have been a few interesting bands like the Black Crows, 3 Doors Down, Big Sugar, Nickleback, etc but they're mostly derivitive throw backs.

White Stripes and Jet are two groups I enjoy. Have you given them a lissten?
As my favorite rock bands are Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin, and ACDC. perhaps, I share some of your taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 am 

robertscott wrote:
Front 242 aren't techno, but they were one of the first to do a type of music that evolved into the European techno scene. It was called Electronic Body Music for those of you that care. It paved the way for some of the best European techno we have today, like The Hacker and Blackstrobe

Techno was very much an American invention, started in Detroit in the 80s.

Okay, then I think we can make a case for Front 242 being one of the most influential bands. Maybe not a top 5, but definitely debatable.

Hah - Front 242! Who would have thunk it? I remember sitting in a club in Reynosa, Mexico drinking Carta Blancas and hearing them. That had to be 88 or 89.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:08 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't like techno, either. I'm old before my time. I spend my time listening to the likes of Hendrix, The Doors, Cream, etc, most things "clapton", love blues, so most before when this thread covers :eek: Also love old school rap, despise new rap. Agree with influences already stated there. Hate "British" rap even more. Makes my ears bleed. I actually met Dappy from N-Dubz at the Mobo awards in Glasgow (the seat was really wasted on me, as I had no idea who most people were), and was so humbled that I had an overwhelming urge to military press him. He's even shorter than I am. Love anything Motown or with Soul, too, and can't beat some Bob Marley.

What about Simon Cowel as an influence? Just about every pop song you hear is influenced by his structure of songs.... Cue slow intro, cue gradual build up, cue predictable and usually meaningless lyrics, cue the songs "big feel good moment", cue finish. Cue yawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:15 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm snobby-techno :) Detroit... underground resistance/juan atkins (a very hefty influence on techno, probably the originator of detroit stuff taking off)/drexciya/carl craig - the hacker is ok but a bit hard for my tastes. Not the type of techno most non-dance fans think of (thud thud thud thud)

Also like electronic stuff like aphex twin, Autechre, four tet, massive attack, leftfield, Burial - oh and edit, kraftwerk ofc, love tour de france + it's more fun to compute.

Ricardo Villalobos has been my obsession for the last... 7 years? His DJ sets always progress, if he hasnt got something new and interesting he dissapears for 4-6 months end of story, doesn't play gigs etc, doesnt release, done this about 4-5 times since I paid attention - IMO a sign of a guy with OCD for music - get it right or throw a tantrum and come back when its fixed :)

Last edited by RobertB on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:53 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

KPj wrote:
Cue slow intro, cue gradual build up, cue predictable and usually meaningless lyrics, cue the songs "big feel good moment", cue finish. Cue yawn.

*big smirk* not even remotley exaggerated either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 am 

Every pop artist or derivative rock band that you know does not even compare to the crapiness of this band- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0

prepare not for ears to bleed, but your brain, and possibly your heart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm 

KPj wrote:
What about Simon Cowel as an influence? Just about every pop song you hear is influenced by his structure of songs.... Cue slow intro, cue gradual build up, cue predictable and usually meaningless lyrics, cue the songs "big feel good moment", cue finish. Cue yawn.

No. He isn't a band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:51 am 

RobertB wrote:
I'm snobby-techno :) Detroit... underground resistance/juan atkins (a very hefty influence on techno, probably the originator of detroit stuff taking off)/drexciya/carl craig - the hacker is ok but a bit hard for my tastes. Not the type of techno most non-dance fans think of (thud thud thud thud)

Also like electronic stuff like aphex twin, Autechre, four tet, massive attack, leftfield, Burial - oh and edit, kraftwerk ofc, love tour de france + it's more fun to compute.

Ricardo Villalobos has been my obsession for the last... 7 years? His DJ sets always progress, if he hasnt got something new and interesting he dissapears for 4-6 months end of story, doesn't play gigs etc, doesnt release, done this about 4-5 times since I paid attention - IMO a sign of a guy with OCD for music - get it right or throw a tantrum and come back when its fixed :)

your taste is quite similar to mine, although I lean more towards hard european stuff.

I saw Ricardo Villalobos a few years ago at the Arches in Glasgow, he was pretty awesome although I don't remember it all too clearly...

... I'm surprised none of the hip hop listeners have mentioned Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5.

It's interesting finding out people's taste in music, I think you can tell a lot about someone's personality by their taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm gonna take a slightly different take on this. The five most influential stylistic 'evolutions' of the last 30yrs are, arguably, rap/hip-hop, metal, electronic dance music, grunge and the massive influence of pop music.

So,

1. Grandmanster Flash
2. Venom
3. Kraftwerk
4. The Melvins
5. Michael Jackson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:27 pm 

Read the rules. No idividuals are allowed.

I think you can add the country revolution in the late 80s and all of the 90s. The music absolutely sucked, but you couldn't throw a rock and not hit a wannabe cowboy. This era tranformed country and pop to where they merged and quite frankly you can't tell the two genres apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 am 
Novice
Novice

1. Faith No More
2. Red Hot Chillie Peppers
3. NWA
4. Blur
5. Rage against the Machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

In no particular order

Kraftwerk
Daft Punk
Depeche Mode

Joy Division
New Order

The Cure
The Smiths
(these two especially as a precursor to emo)

The Pixies
Sonic Youth
Nirvana

Public Enemy/NWA
KRS-One/the GZA

Outkast (imho, they anticipated more of what is now successful pop music than any other group I can think of)
Kanye West

U2
Coldplay

Radiohead

Most influential over last few years hands down Kanye West.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next