Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

frogbyte wrote:
Most meat substitutes are very high carb and what fat they have is often soybean oil, with several being hydrogenated as I recall.

most of what she eats are
1 burger Morningstar Farms® Grillers
130 cal (Fat:1g sat fat 3g poly 2gMono) 15 g Protein 5g Carbs

Morningstar Farms®
4 Chik'n Nuggets 190 cal (fat 1.5 g Sat fat 4.5 poly 2.5 mono 12g protein 19g carbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:01 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Extremistpullup wrote:
frogbyte wrote:
Most meat substitutes are very high carb and what fat they have is often soybean oil, with several being hydrogenated as I recall.

most of what she eats are
1 burger Morningstar Farms® Grillers
130 cal (Fat:1g sat fat 3g poly 2gMono) 15 g Protein 5g Carbs

Morningstar Farms®
4 Chik'n Nuggets 190 cal (fat 1.5 g Sat fat 4.5 poly 2.5 mono 12g protein 19g carbs

I have to say, thats not a good diet choice for someone with fat-loss goals. Is this actually what she eats most? What about Vegetables? Oh and there is no real subsitute for meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eating healthy as a vegetarian is hard. You have to consume a great deal of eggs, dairy and peanut butter. If you are losing weight, it's going to have to be mainly eggs. You can get some Atkins bars/shakes. It's so much easier if you eat meat though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 am 
Novice
Novice

Jebus wrote:
I have to say, thats not a good diet choice for someone with fat-loss goals. Is this actually what she eats most? What about Vegetables? Oh and there is no real subsitute for meat.

her fake meat is the main part of her dinner and yes she does eat Vegetables and rice milk and cereal.

she had no problem loosing the 42 lbs and I'm sure her current fake meat diet isn't what is causing the plateau.

She has a Dr's appointment in a week, we will see what the Dr. says

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:42 pm 

The doctor will say, "Eat even less fat, and even more carbohydrate." He or she will probably praise her for the 4 hours of cardio, and encourage her to keep it up or increase it. She will (if she follows this advice) continue to struggle with weight loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
The doctor will say, "Eat even less fat, and even more carbohydrate." He or she will probably praise her for the 4 hours of cardio, and encourage her to keep it up or increase it. She will (if she follows this advice) continue to struggle with weight loss.

So you think all other Dr. are quacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:07 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
The number on the little readout might be useful for comparing one session to another for the same person, but not for the kind of estimates you are trying to make.

Actually thats exactly what I'm doing. I'm using the Machine and comparing one session to another thoughout the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yesterday she did weights for 30mins and 30 min of cardio

I was thinking today she could swim for 45 mins.
This Saturday we can do 30 mins each of Weights and cardio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Extremistpullup wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

No, he just knows that most doctors had 1 tiny little myth-laden diet course in medical school, however long ago that was. Your general practitioner likely knows less about diet than you do. They know anatomy and can diagnose injuries and illnesses, and all that sort of thing. But they don't really know nutrition.

He can also remember when he was just as clueless.

I can tell you that my doctor and the nurse practitioner both know very little about diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:33 am 

That.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:39 am 

Extremistpullup wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

Whoa!!!

Talk about putting words in my mouth. How can you jump to a conclusion like that? Don't tell me what I think, and particularly don't make stuff up and say that's what I think.

I know that most doctors don't have the interest or time to get beyond the old information that is around. We have always accepted that low fat eating and that the more-is-better attitude toward "cardio" is the way to go. Look at the article I posted in this section. That kind of information is still uncommon in mainstream medical literature, and is still a surprise to most doctors.

OK, I should have said "the doctor will PROBABLY say...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:16 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Extremistpullup wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
The number on the little readout might be useful for comparing one session to another for the same person, but not for the kind of estimates you are trying to make.

Actually thats exactly what I'm doing. I'm using the Machine and comparing one session to another thoughout the week.

All of your data is incorrect. That because you build your data based on false information. I provided you with the information on how inaccurate ellipticals are, 42% off.

That means your data that your wife is buring 600 calories per one hour elliptical session is in reality approximately 348 calories. Still good but GROSLEY OFF.

That means her one hour elliptical sessions are 252 LOWER than what you plugging into your calculaltions.

That means your figures are already off by 1008 (252 calories LOWER X 4 one hour elliptical sessions) per week.

I understand you enjoy spending your time playing with the numbers and your graph. However, it is an exercise in futility. That because your numbers are based on false information.

In other words, "Garbage in, garbage out."

There is a much easier way. http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7 ... hlight=bmr

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

So calories listed on packages is not burned the same at same rate by your body then what it is defined as.

There is accurate way to calculate how much you burn when you workout.

BMR is not a acurate number for anyone to base there calorie defict off of it.

Spending a hour on and elliptical 4 days a week is overtraining. even though you it only burns maybe 300 -340 cals /hr

so how do you create a Deficit if all the data is wrong, escpecially if its what food is worth in calories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:57 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
Extremistpullup wrote:
So calories listed on packages is not burned the same at same rate by your body then what it is defined as.

There is accurate way to calculate how much you burn when you workout.

There is not real method to accurately calculate the number of calories you burn in a workout. Again, it a ball park figure.

Quote:
so how do you create a Deficit if all the data is wrong, escpecially if its what food is worth in calories.

I provided you with that information in a pervious topic. I then provided the link to that information in my previous post. So, you are sitting on the answer.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:18 pm 

Extremistpullup wrote:
Spending a hour on and elliptical 4 days a week is overtraining. even though you it only burns maybe 300 -340 cals /hr
No; no one said that. Many people have said that it is a poor use of training time (of course, no less so than creating and maintaining spread sheets to try to calculate the precise deficit). I said that it is mind-mumbingly boring (of course, no less so than creating and maintaining spread sheets...).

Extremistpullup wrote:

EAT LESS FOOD, EAT LESS CARB!!!!!

Sheesh. I feel like we're talking to the wall here.

The data is not "wrong", the data is not precise enough to calculate exact deficits, and think this will cause weight loss. Just eat less, for goodness sake, do a reasonable exercise program (that can't be reported to the nearest minute), delete the spread sheets, and try somehow to enjoy life. If the weight isn't going down slowly, eat even less, especially less carb.

If this level of compulsiveness representative of all aspects of your life? If so, I sincerely urge you to seek professional help with it. It must be very difficult for your friends and family to cope with.

Last edited by Jungledoc on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.