ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:15 am 
Hi, have any of you guys ever stumbled across this website?

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_bodywei ... ining.html

alot of it seems pretty interesting. What do you guys think of his training principles? The price for this info seems ridiculously steep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:39 am 
Novice
Novice

I would do that sort of thing if I had no access to weights. The reason weights are better, is because body weight may be to much or not enough. With weights you can get the exact ammount of resistence you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:09 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, moving in a different direcion from the previous poster, the old bodyweight routines are great, especially when mixed in with weights, and can fill a variety of purposes, but I took a look at what he was charging, and that being stated, save your money. IMHO the 197 or whatever it is is way out of line. That said, I think Brook's tapes and the newsletter's are well worth the money (I have the collection of newsletters). They're based on the older routines, not much isolation, mostly compound exercises mixed with lifts, 1 and 2 hand, B and DB. Good stuff.
Now bodyweight. Lots of stuff he is going to bring up is not new, just mostly forgotten, and a lot is rope and gymnastic based. I'm not doubting any of that stuff is good, but you can get it much cheaper or free. I'm going to point you in three different directions.
Dragondoor.com. Check the articles and forum. Lots of these people are into MMA, bodyweight and KB training with the old methods. You'll find tons over there.
Crossfit.com Check the forums and WODs (workout of the day). Lots are bodyweight based, and have videos in the exercise section.
http://home.comcast.net/-joanandbryce/
He offers a booklet for 12 bucks, and is full of info. Take the link to his forums at TheIronWorks. You'll find lots of discussion on some crazy bodyweight stuff over there.
Finally, right here on the Exercise and Muscle directory, you'll find lots of bodyweight alternatives.
If you think you need more info after you've read through this stuff, then, MAYBE consider it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey Tim!

I got a bad link when I tried to clik on the 'joan and bryce' link..but..

I wonder if that's the bryce I used to know from some of the other boards? Sounds like it could be, as he was always a big proponent of BW work, and strongman stuff.

Do you still communicate with him?

I wonder how he is doing on his goal to complete the Inman Mile??

When last I ~spoke~ to him, he had built this big-assed metal unit that looked like a Clothes rack! He could load it up with plates, then walk with it on his shoulders till he had to rest, then stop and rest, letting the whole rack stand, so he could pick it up and continue. I'm sure his neighbors thought he was insane.

He disappeared off the board before I ever heard if he was successful at accomplishing his goal. Though..if anyone is capable of such a thing, I'd guess bryce could do it.

Is it him?

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:40 pm 
n00b
n00b

I am a big fan of Brooks' work as i have zero use for isoloation moves, preferring the full body movements and abreviated training programs. I am also a big fan of body weight movements for active recovery and endurance training. HOWEVER, i am not a big fan of paying that price for stuff you can get for free anywhere on the internet.

I am pretty sure you can find whatever it is brook is up to now, somewhere else for free.

I suspect Brooks has become another Matt Furey - but that is another discussion for another discussion board.....

Bill L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:53 pm 

Hi Dian. Yep. That's him. Bryce Lane. He's gotta be into most anything. Strongman, PL, OL, now it's strength - endurance and bodyweight, but still keeps in touch with it all. He used to post a lot over on WTU and WDB, but he started up his own over on the EZ board, The Iron Works. He has a link to it from his home, Te Power and Endurance page which I tried to link to you. Another try
http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/
I cut and pasted it, but even when I try, it sends me into a search results, but his page comes out number 1 on the list.
Tim

`

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

People do seem to like bodyweight stuff a lot.
Here is what I don't understand. Let's say a person has a weight and strength that let them do 20 pushups at a time. Doing bench press with a weight that lets you get 20 reps is bad. The pushups are great though. Let's say there is another person who is fat and not to strong and can only do 2 pushups at a time. People would say doing your 2 rep max on bench press is bad, again pushups are great.
Now lets say you can do 8 or 10 pushups at time, in that case I would say, don't bother with weights, just do the pushups.

Don't get me wrong the exercises are good, but most people could use either some weight added or an assist.

Or is there something I'm missing here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:06 pm 

Soonygill, well, I think there is something you might be missing. Body weight stuff isn't limited to pushups, by any stretch. Ty some handstand pushup, P-bar dips, or dips on rings. Those tax most people, not to mention high rep pullps, muscle ups on rings, etc. The crossfit types are really into that stuff, just take a look at some of their "girls" over there, which are mainlydesigned for Metcon (metabolism conditioning). One example is "Mary", where you do rounds of 1 leg squats L, 1 leg squats Right, 10 handstand pushups, and 15 pullups, as many rounds as you can in 20 mins. Another example, just look at any elite gymnast, and its almost all bodyweight on rings, bars, etc.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

Actually pushups was just an example. I mean everything. Everything you listed could be too little too much or just right depending on the person.

On that Mary thing, if you can do 10 handstand pushups and 15 pullups, either those squats are going to be WAY easy, you've got weak legs or you have to do LOTS of them. For gymnasts, that makes sense, they are doing many repittitions of what they are going to preform in their sport.

I suppose it just doesn't apeal to me because you can't fine tune it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:29 pm 
I agree with Tim that those are good sites for bodyweight stuff. I have Bryce's booklet and it is great. I would like to add another place to get some great bodyweight info. Ross Enamait has a great book on bodyweight only training that you can get at Rossboxing.com. He charges around $35, but it is worth twice the price. And Ross has a forum where you can ask questions.

Keith

Post subject: Justin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:56 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]