Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:26 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
[Sheesh. I feel like we're talking to the wall here.

A Computerized wall that only understands numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 pm 

Jebus wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

The old Andy is quite fond of the young Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:37 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Jebus wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

The old Andy is quite fond of the young Andy.

Whoa man, I don't swing that way.... ahahhaah. I know what you mean though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You start with very low carb, like under 20 per day. Once you are eating like that you can reduce calories as needed. However no matter how low you get your calories, you always have to take in enough protein to hold your muscle mass. When I cut, I find myself eating a lot of Atkins bars and shakes, salad, chicken, fish, eggs, some premium hot dogs. It all depends on how crazy you want to get with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:35 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm not obsessed with the spreadsheets and figures, there is nothing compulsive about keeping track of numbers for a few weeks, and see if you can find a trend using math.

For you to Guess being compulsive, and Assume that it negativly effects my friends and family is irresponsible, diagnois doctor.

And this is a tad off topic, this isn't about my psychological health. Which a PM would be more approprate and tackful. But rather my questions on a 5 lb unexpected weight gain in a wk while keeping a deficit.

Last edited by Extremistpullup on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Ironman wrote:
You start with very low carb, like under 20 per day. Once you are eating like that you can reduce calories as needed. However no matter how low you get your calories, you always have to take in enough protein to hold your muscle mass. When I cut, I find myself eating a lot of Atkins bars and shakes, salad, chicken, fish, eggs, some premium hot dogs. It all depends on how crazy you want to get with it.

I'll suggest that to her. Most of her protein is dairy and fake meat.
When you say under 20 a day is that grams.

I've had her bring down cardo to 30 mins and add 2 more weights days for 30 mins. And a diet of less carbs and more protein.

I was reading in another thread on here, to do weights before cardio.
Right now I have her doing a Full body workout for weights, leg press machine, Chest press, Shoulder press, Rows, Pulldowns, then whatever other weight machine she wants, 4 sets of 12, Should she instead do a split routine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, that is grams. If you do both weights and cardio you always do the weights first. You use the energy before you start draining it. You don't have to do them on the same day though.

I would recommend either full body, full body where you only do half (horizontal and quad dom one day and vertical and ham dom on another), push/pull, or upper lower.

You want to pair exercises so you only need 1 minute rest between sets. So you alternate sets between bench press and rows (or maybe bench press and squat if you do push/pull). You can do inclines with chins or deadlifts. Anything where it's different muscles. Don't go to failure either, you need the shorter rest and you can't be too hard on your CNS while eating very little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:57 pm 

If you want to do a split, that's OK. Just get a reasonable frequency for each movement, say twice/week and keep the workouts short. It's a trade off between total volume, number of workouts and length of workout. You probably want to get a minimum of 1, preferably 2 hours total volume per week with workouts in the 30-60 minute range. Shorter workouts allow higher intensity on a couple key exercises and are more effective for this reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:07 pm 

Extremistpullup wrote:
I'm not obsessed with the spreadsheets and figures, there is nothing compulsive about keeping track of numbers for a few weeks, and see if you can find a trend using math.

For you to Guess being compulsive, and Assume that it negativly effects my friends and family is irresponsible, diagnois doctor.

And this is a tad off topic, this isn't about my psychological health. Which a PM would be more approprate and tackful. But rather my questions on a 5 lb unexpected weight gain in a wk while keeping a deficit.
You're right, and I'm sorry.

Reducing this to such detailed math just doesn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:54 pm 

pleaseee let me answer this as after wrestling for a long time I have found out the ebst ways to lose weight.

Ok so the big secret is................. dont do anything repetitively...

Thats it haha. thats all. If your wife keeps doing the same stuff over and over again, she will stall very badly at the end. So for the next 2 weeks, instead of doing elliptical, have your wife switch to other forms of cardio. Make the next 2 weeks compeltely different to what shes used to.

For example :

Monday : do a 2 mile run then a 2 mile walk then a 1 mile run

Tuesday : Body weight exercises

Wednesday : Have her do sprints

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Weight lifting

Saturday : 2 Mile run, 2 mile walk, 1 mile run

Sunday Rest