ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobbies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:38 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Anyone got any interesting hobbies that they'd like to share? Obviously we all lift weights here, so don't say that. But since I just wrote that someone will anyway.

I play the guitar, chess and like to read up on Nutrition, Exercise and Science.

I want to start hunting and but I don't have the money for that yet. Also I want to basically learn how to do everything, cooking, metalwork, woodworking, knitting (very manly, by the way).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 am 

I used to play in a band. Bass/guitar/vocals. Haven't played music in that type of setting in awhile. Really haven't even had much of a drive to play music in awhile.

My only real hobby besides weight lifting is playing softball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:00 am 

I collect insects, but not very actively any more. I used to do woodworking, but I have pretty limited opportunities here in PNG. There is a wood shop in the maintenance department of our hospital where I can work, but the tools are all pretty badly worn out and broken. My only active hobby is, well, that one that we're not supposed to mention in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I do a lot of birding and nature photography, especially wildlife photography. I photograph everything from large mammals down to insects and spiders. I also visit a lot of zoos, aquariums and museums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 am 

PS) I keep lift lists ... Not only of the bird species I've seen in the wild, but also, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, butterflies, dragonflies and damsels, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I played guitar and bass pretty well, but haven't done that in a long time. I may get back into that at some point. I also play chess, however my game hasn't improved in ages. I tend to hyperfocus on something or get distracted.

I guess it depends on what you consider a hobby too. I'm into music, I'm a bit of a movie buff, I like cult tv, computers (including hacking and security).

I like philosophy and different sciences too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:15 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I'm into fishing, all types, but in particular, fresh water flyfishing. I've tied my own flies for over 40 years, and have watched the patterns and techniques evolve over the years. Tieing used to keep me occupied while at sea with not much to do in the offtime. I also enjoyed reading eveything (and trying) methods of weight training/fitness out over the years.I'd consider that a hobby. Before my military days, I used to enjoy hunting, but now, not so much, but still enjoy range shooting.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:00 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Matt, what kind of large mammals? Elephants?

I also like photography, mainly landscapes. I have some good photos on my facebook going across Canada. their amature though, took them with my phone.

And jungledoc, did you ever think about eating those insects? Cooked over a fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 pm 

I'm a pretty big geek. Way back in the day, I used to play Magic the Gathering, if anyone here knows what that is. Now I stick mostly to random video games and geeky sci fi/fantasy movies for my geekiness.

I like to hike. I actually do a lot of amateur singing as well. Occasionally I go do some karaoking just to do it on a stage, but I've never sang in a band or anything. Maybe I should go try out for some bands. lol. I'd like to do more outdoor sports, but most of my friends are lazy and would never partake.

Speaking of hobbies, I was thinking of getting a new "hobby" for my dad for christmas. Any suggestions? He's not much of a hunter, fisher, outdoorser, etc. Someone mentioned woodworking. I think he might like that. Any suggestions on what to actually buy him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:38 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Rucifer wrote:
Speaking of hobbies, I was thinking of getting a new "hobby" for my dad for christmas. Any suggestions? He's not much of a hunter, fisher, outdoorser, etc. Someone mentioned woodworking. I think he might like that. Any suggestions on what to actually buy him?

You could get him to make a Ship in a Bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 pm 

"Matt, what kind of large mammals? Elephants?" - Jebus

In the wild, mostly white-tailed deer, but also some feral horses and sika deer in Maryland. In zoos and aquariums, you name it (including elephants). I'd love to visit East Africa (Kenya/Tanzania) and India someday, if I can ever afford it, and some of the big National Parks and Wildlife Refuges here in the states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:16 pm 

I also post a lot of photos on my facebook page. I use a Pentax Digital SLR with four lenses. I'm actually getting a new lens for Christmas, and I can't wait to try it out. It should be really good for indoor shooting (people and pets, aquariums, indoor zoo exhibits, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:17 pm 

I also like to go target shooting, but I don't go as much as I used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:40 pm 

comic books. cinema. tv shows that aren't broadcast in Australia. dr. who. wine. 70-80's mercedes benz cars. beer. travel. attending theatre. video games and 80-90's 'retro' computing. beer then wine. reading. swimming. bbqing things and cooking for dinner parties. cool stuff on the internet. will return to running after i achieve my strength objectives. radio and music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:15 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Similar ballpark to Rucifer but i'm a bit weird because I can't stand some stuff in the same stereotype (I love roleplaying computer games but cannot for the life of me imagine playing the tabletop/card based ones)

I played World of Warcraft for five years but havent played since July now so I consider myself done with it - Im currently destroying Gran Turismo 5 but I tend to only play it in 2 hour bursts and some evenings not at all (as opposed to WoWarcraft where I could do 12 hour sessions)

I like sim games like Sim City(4), Tropico (3) - not keen on the dollhouse sims games, the first one seemed novel but got a bit tired of "go toilet, eat, sleep, go toilet" so didnt bother with the others.

PC games aside I like to play with fruity loops (music creating software) - very amateur with it in terms of completing solid tracks but like to think I'm able to produce interesting chunks of music (electronic/techno) - just never get them polished or they lack an end :(

I wouldn't exactly class "music" as a hobby but I do tend to scout the web to see when my fave djs are in town, even go to other side of country/Holland a few times to good techno nights so I would say im quite fanatical compared to the average "oh I like a bit of everything" pop fan - ...borders on a hobby.