ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

very bodybuildery question this, anyone know of exercises that emphasise the medial head of the triceps?

JM presses have filled it in a bit, but I'm at a bit of a loss for anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:46 pm 

Not that I care a hoot about it but here's one answer: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0801/is_1_66/ai_n8693987/

Use a reverse grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 pm 

good lad Stu, thanks very much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 pm 

Good shout! I just assumed my triceps finished 3/4 of the way on my arm like my biceps. Might be able to make them look a bit longer now. Seems my medial head is a hell of a lot smaller than the other two but don't think much growth will occur judging by the natural size of the muscle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:01 am 

These 2 BB type guys in my gym swear by reverse grip push downs with the lat pull down bar... Elbows by the sides and hands right infront of elbows..

I'm deffinitly not an "arm guy" but just thought I would pass it on, worth trying I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 am 

Nevage wrote:
Good shout! I just assumed my triceps finished 3/4 of the way on my arm like my biceps. Might be able to make them look a bit longer now.

that, my friend, is bodybuilding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 pm 

I can't find the medial head of my triceps. Hm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:28 am 

robertscott wrote:
Nevage wrote:
Good shout! I just assumed my triceps finished 3/4 of the way on my arm like my biceps. Might be able to make them look a bit longer now.

that, my friend, is bodybuilding!

The beauty of it! I remember when I first learned about building up my brachioradialis to 'fill in the gap' of my short biceps. It's amazing what you can do to hide bad genetics. I'm gonna look like this one day:

Maybe not the size, but the proportion. I think my chest/delts are very capable of the size but not my arms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 am 

Mike Mentzer is it? He's a beast.

We're about the same size are we not? 5' 11", 180lbs. What's your target in terms of size, weight etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:27 am 

Yeah, I like the old skool looking bodybuilders. Yeah seem pretty similar to you with regards to weight and maybe lifts, I'm 5'10 and about 180lbs. I don't really like weighing myself for progress as I have mates that weigh nearly a stone more than me and don't even train or look like they do exercise, I think it's my small bone structure. I could lose a good half a stone, I'm not lean at the moment but I'll think about that closer to summer, losing weight isn't normally a problem for me as soon as I cut the carbs out.

I don't really know for targets, I find if I concentrate on increasing lifts I gradually start training in lower rep ranges before I deload and knock some off again and start repping higher. I had a good year in 2010, squat went up 35kg, don't really bench heavy because of freakish pec genetics, deadlift crept up about 20kg and OH press 20kg. I was all for high-ish volume/low weight before which is why I think I increased in weight a lot last year by concentrating on lower rep ranges as well as higher ones.

I think my main targets would be:

- Carry on bringing up my ridiculously poor genetic arms (short sleeve or long sleeve tops are the way forward, if I wear a t-shirt where the sleeve finishes just above my elbow, I look like I have skinny little arms as the muscles don't come down that far :sad: )

- Hammer my rear delts, they need to double in size to catch up with the rest of my shoulder.

- Try working clavicular pec without hitting front delt, can never have to much upper pec size, it's got a lot better but not on par with rest of chest.

- Focus on lats as the rest of my back just reacts to anything, need to be wider for the thickness of my back.

-Finally calves!! Think this will always be a problem for me, they only take up about a third of my lower leg I swear! What is there isn't bad, but the only way they'll ever look good is if they're massively wide!

Chest, most of delts, quads, majority of back and arm development I'm very happy with.

Wow, didn't mean it to be this long! Sort of thinking out loud.

What about your goals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:30 am 

yeah I know what you mean about scale weight being annoying, I've a friend who's 2 inches taller, and hell of a lot skinnier than me, and he's actually heavier! It's a sore point for me to say the least. I also blame my tiny bone structure.

I'm with you on bringing up arms, for years I thought that the big compound moves would be enough. I know now that they weren't. My own fault for doing more reading about training than I was actually training.

Rear delts need to come up for me too, but really I'm all about the lateral delt. I've got the narrowest clavicle ever so I'm really going to need to work on my shoulder width if they're ever to look impressive.

Lats as well need some serious work, the damn things just don't grow. I hammer out set after set of pull-ups but it doesn't seem to do anything. Oh well, I'll persevere.

Chest, abs, and traps are all fine, so that's something at least. Also, my skinny guy genetics keep me lean all year round so I'm happy about that.

So goals for this year are: add 20k to bench, 30k to deadlift, and 20lbs of muscle. Easy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:05 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Saw this on t-nation. Not my thing, but thought it was applicable to this thread.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... n_dog_arms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:38 am 
n00b
n00b

Well duh, you have no exercises to target that area. For starters, do your french press with a barbell, a regular barbell (No EZ, no french press bar, no dumbell). Replace the overhead dumbell extension with either skull crushers or close-grip bench presses. Instead of rope pressdown do a normal pressdown and instead of dumbell kickbacks do , wel whatever, should leave somthing for the other two heads.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:50 am 

Well, duh, it's an old post. People have moved on.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:55 am 

how disappointing, I was hoping someone resurrected this thread with something useful. Not only was it just a potential spammer, but a RUDE potential spammer.