ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:12 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I can't answer about actual fights, but not everything you learned in class sticks in competition. It's somewhat hard to predict yourself what will stick and what won't. You can surprise yourself and forgot basic things or do things you didn't realize sunk in.

My best examples of that are from matches - a friend worked jabs endlessly, so much so his jab was his best weapon. He went a whole 2-round match without ever launching one. Afterward he was surprised when we told him - he never realized he hadn't been doing it. Compare that with me pulling off an inverted arm bar from a triangle choke in Grappler's Quest. I couldn't tell you what I was doing while I was doing it, even as my coach talked me through it. After the match, I actually needed him to explain it to me over and over in class so I could actually do it again. I didn't even know you could do that arm bar from there nevermind how to do it, although after learning it the mechanics seem obvious in retrospect. So, one guy forgot the basics (and got mauled, sadly), and in another case you have someone pulling off a previously unknown move.

Real fights seem to be generally like that. They do get very, very ugly and very short when one drunk idiot picks one with a sober trained opponent though. It's just crazy when they knowingly do that - they know the guy they are starting with fights people for fun on a regular basis and they do it anyway. I guess it's the challenge . . . that "I could beat that UFC guy if I wanted to . . . " self-delusion. Refer to Bully Beatdown here - I've only seen a little of one episode but people seem to think they can actually win and chalk up "I beat a cage fighter" on their resume. But it's like watching someone abuse an animal or bully a kid - it's so one sided that it's sad.

Fighting as a sport is fascinating to me. Fighting for stupid drunken reasons in a bar mystifies me. I don't get it.