ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:12 pm 

hmm... i think for future apocalypse management investments i'll see if i can identify any barge mounted nautical diesel refuelling businesses with significant salmon farm/gun runnning clientelle.

or i could just live in australia where we're so poor our professional athletes can't afford protective equipment...

there may be a joke in there. i'm not sure.

edit; oh yes, the point of my post: http://www.albany.edu/~mirer/eco110/pow.html for an insight into currency creation in survival situations.

may be a time when coupla clams IS what we pay for something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:32 pm 

Raise your hand if you missed the Obama Rally. The "what?", you say.....
http://macromon.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/prezperformance.jpg

That's right, the S&P 500 has gone up 48% since Obama took office two years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Don't buy gasoline, that stuff will go bad, quickly! At the end of it try and get ur hands on anything diesel, lasts forever.

I have investments in Manulife Financial, I bought in at 11.55 its gone up 52.41%

I was watching Real Time Bill Maher and they were discussing how much Obama has helped, a lot and well, now everyone doesnt like him now?!? lol I don't understand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:19 pm 

Jebus wrote:
Don't buy gasoline, that stuff will go bad, quickly! At the end of it try and get ur hands on anything diesel, lasts forever.

I have investments in Manulife Financial, I bought in at 11.55 its gone up 52.41%

I was watching Real Time Bill Maher and they were discussing how much Obama has helped, a lot and well, now everyone doesnt like him now?!? lol I don't understand...

Most people hate him because it was the "in" thing to hate on Bush, who did a lot of the same stupid $h1t... Spending money we don't have the biggest DUMBASS thing they have done.

I don't really care for him, Clinton was teh last president to "get it." and it will be another 12-16 years of idiots before we find another person who isn't a dumbass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:26 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What would you do if Christine O'donnell or Sarah Palin became president?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:39 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Bam, Eric and I were joking, can't you see that? If the world's economy collapses, or if a solar flare takes out the grid, we're all really pretty much screwed.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 pm 

TimD wrote:
Bam, Eric and I were joking, can't you see that? If the world's economy collapses, or if a solar flare takes out the grid, we're all really pretty much screwed.
Tim
Now that's funny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, I was going to say.... I thought all the gold talk was a joke. That's why I brought up seed banks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Investing in gold is actually not a bad idea with a limited amount of your money, less than 5%, invested for the long haul.

A lot of people approach investing with a mindset like gamblers, hoping for a quick, big winner. It rarely works that way. Investing requires a long time and discipline to not sell out when markets are bad and to avoid chasing the latest hot investment. It's not timing the markets, it's time in the markets.

Another poster, Bam, mentioned William Bernstein, who wrote the preface to the Jonathan Clements investment book I mentioned a few months ago. He offers excellent, solid principles for investing.

Investing, like aging, is not for the faint-hearted. I lost almost 40% on my investments (read: Retirement Savings) during the Great Recession, and it is only now approaching the level it was at a few years ago.

A very good financial web site, with solid advice, is wwwDOTmorningstarDOTcom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 pm 

TimG wrote:
Bam, mentioned William Bernstein, who wrote the preface to the Jonathan Clements investment book I mentioned a few months ago. He offers excellent, solid principles for investing.

Loved Clements' articles back when he was with the WSJ. I gave up my subscription after he and Greg Ip left. Sad days for the WSJ.
Everything you said is spot on about investing. I use the Coffehouse Portfolio as my benchmark because it's a fully indexed buy and hold portfolio with very little effort involved. With a little more research you could squeeze out better returns, but piling in when the market dips, and taking profits when the market roars is tough.
I wouldn't even consider gold as an investment though. A safer option would be gold related stocks.
I bet you'd be much happier in the long run though if you took what you'd like to invest in gold and buy 50% each of VGPMX and VGENX.... a very nice inflation hedge.