ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low carb Recipes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

A few members have expressed interest in gathering some recipes. I personally like Oscar's idea of pork rinds and guac, and am surprized I never thought of that.

Anyway, my favorite is kind of similar to a crustless quiche. I do mine in the microwave, but it could easily be done in the standard oven.
-2 (or more) oz chopped up leftover meat, your choice, could be sausage, ham, etc
- Chopped leftover veg, my favorites being green beans, broccoli, spinach, but could be anything you like. Size to taste
1feta or other cheese of your choice. Mix together in a microwave or oven safe bowl depending on how you're going to do this. Dump 2 or 3 (or more) beaten eggs over top, mix well, and nuke it until eggs are set. Top with fresh salsa or guac.

- Edit_ Note, for those of you that want a bit more texture/binder/whole grain, you could always mix in some grain/legumes, but keep it down to a quarter cup or so. My favorite additive would be a mixture of barly, lentils. A quarter cup won't really zoom the carbs, and will add some needed fiber, plus I just like the chewiness it adds.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm 

On recipe I find intrigueing but haven't tried is the Meatza. It's a pizza with a meat crust. I first heardabout at http://freetheanimal.com/

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/maindi ... apizza.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 pm 

try grinding up 2 onions, mixing it with 2 pounds of ground beef. throw 4 eggs into the mix with salt and pepper and mix it again until the consistency is good. Then in a pot, put oil (any type, I like olive oil) into the bottom. Then with your hands, take a handful of the meat and pat it into a thin oval shape. Place it into the ot. Make a few of these. and then fry them. This is a really good High Protein, High Fat, very low carb mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:57 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Immortal wrote:
try grinding up 2 onions, mixing it with 2 pounds of ground beef. throw 4 eggs into the mix with salt and pepper and mix it again until the consistency is good. Then in a pot, put oil (any type, I like olive oil) into the bottom. Then with your hands, take a handful of the meat and pat it into a thin oval shape. Place it into the ot. Make a few of these. and then fry them. This is a really good High Protein, High Fat, very low carb mix.

that does sound good, personally I would season it a bit more though. Try putting some garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander and tomato sauce in there. Admittedly there's a lot of sugar in tomato sauce but as long as you only use a bit then it won't do you any harm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:15 am 

Those meatball things Immortal described do sound good. When living in northern Europe (Germany and Danmark), they had things very similar to that, but made of pork, called Frikkadeller, and were actually deep fried. Sounds terrible, and I normally wouldn't advise deep frying, but I really loved them. I'd put them in a category w/pork rinds; great, but would use them sparingly.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:13 pm 

my mom makes them all the time, and if you use the proper beef its fine. also a better way to do it is grill them if tyou want low calories. Grilling em only makes them taste a little different and you guys are right, you can season them a lot more. Thats just a basic recipe for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:20 pm 

actually i prefer them grilled to tellyou the truth because it tastes so good. and if you dont have access to a grill, my grandpa actually got the idea to bake em in the oven and it would have the same exact taste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:22 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabab_koobideh heres another way to make them, some people prefer them long like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:05 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

As an alternative to pasta - use a peeler to obtain long thin strips of your chosen veg, boil very briefly in salted water and add to the low carb sauce of your choice. Courgette, carrot, thinly sliced peppers, cucumber, celery... go nuts!

This also works very well for stir-fry's (etc) to replace noodles

If you have a quantity of Thai curry pastes, use a teaspoon (or more - just watch the salt on the more authentic versions!) of this loosened with some liquid (stock/broth, water etc) to give your stirfried veg/meat a bit more oomph!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lamb Kebab

1 teaspoon each:

Cumin, Chili powder, fresh chili, minced/crushed garlic

1/2 teaspoon each:

salt, ginger powder or pulp

500g of Ground (Minced) Lamb/Beef - or a mixture

Combine all ingredients together then with slightly water moistened hands form into kebabs around a metal or bamboo skewer (soak these for 30 mins to stop them catching fire!). You can also make meatballs and skewer those instead. Pack them as tight as you can and pop them into the fridge for half an hour to stop them breaking apart. Cook under the grill, on the bbq or in the oven.

Serve with a simple salad - cucumber, feta cheese, red onion, lceberg/gem etc

Post subject: burrito recipe
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:26 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Burritoes:

1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 tomato
1/2 onion
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt, black pepper, cumin, chili powder
garlic
green chilies
salsa (most salsas will contain garlic but the other ingredients above are essential)

Brown beef and drain, add chopped vegetables and spices. Add salsa and simmer for a minute or two. Add cheese, sour cream, or guacamole if desired.

I can usually fit all of this in a single large tortilla (20-25g carbs) and have found that Mission Flour tortilla are the best. I also prefer Saltines or corn tortilla chips.

Last edited by strathmeyer on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: chili recipe
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Essential Chili: "real" chili

The Meat- As lean as possible; also, this is usually where you get to get creative
1.5 lb ground meat
1.5 lb chunk meat
1/2 lb andouille sausage
1/2 lb bacon
The most obvious recipe would be to use ground beef, sausage, pork loin, and beef loin. I have also had a lot of luck using store-cut fajita or stir-fry meats.
Other possibilities include:
buffalo/bison - a bit bland and often not lower fat than beef
venison - expensive but insanely good and healthy
turkey/chicken - usually can't fully carry the flavor but often a good complement, will fall apart better than steak when cooked

The Vegetables- Fresh and finely chopped!
red and white onion
green and red pepper
5 roma/plum tomatoes
1/2 stalk celery
3 cloves garlic
2-3 chili peppers for hotness (poblanos=no hotness, cubanelle/cherry=mild, jalapeños=medium; be careful because it goes up exponentially from here)

The Spices
4 tblsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin, spanish sweet paprika, oregano
1 tsp black peppers, salt
1/2 tsp coriander

The Liquids
1 beer, dark stout, the bitterer the better
16 oz beef broth
1 small can tomato sauce, tomato paste

Pour all of the liquids into a large chili pot. Add the spices and vegetables. Brown the meats, drain and add. Stir fully and cook for an hour or two. Reduce the head, cover and simmer for another 2-4 hours.

The chili's consistency should change as it cooks. It will firm after you finish and it cools. More beer or broth can be added if it gets too dry, and it can be cooked uncovered to dry it out. When you finish cooking after a thorough stirring a cup or two of liquid should form after a bit of cooking.
Crock pots work very well. I have problems turning my gas stove very low so I fit a frying pan under my chili pot.

The Garnish
cheese, Montery Jack
sour cream
parsley

The Delivery
tortilla (burrito)
chips/crackers
hot dog/hamburger bun
fork

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:18 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Is that really low carb?
I know, I can skip the buns and chips, and get low carb.,

May I request we do not turn this into a "here's another recipe." thread.
I'm looking for CREATIVITY and SIMPLICITY.

Like PorkSkins with Guacamole, after eating 7 stalks of celery and wishing you had something else to dip (of course Shrimp is awesome )
I love chili. Too. But I'm not sure we need recpies for that.

:)

ps. Maybe I should just ask questions for solutions to problems, then that would generate the ideas. Ok, we'll do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 am 

[quote="Oscar_Actuary"]Is that really low carb?

OK, Simplicity it is. Here's some Redneck Surf and Turf. Get a can of kippered snacks or sardines and a bag of jerky. Place fish on jerky. Simplicity.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 am 

TimD wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Is that really low carb?

OK, Simplicity it is. Here's some Redneck Surf and Turf. Get a can of kippered snacks or sardines and a bag of jerky. Place fish on jerky. Simplicity.
Tim

"redneck surf and turf", I love it. There's a bar in Glasgow that has a "Glasgow Salad" on the menu. If you order it they give you a big plate of chips (french fries) and cheese. Genius.