ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:14 pm 
n00b
n00b

First question
Im trying to listen to my bodys needs. If my body demands an extra hour or two of sleep the night after a workout, should I followup with extra protein the next morning? Do sleep and protein-needs coorelate? Also, if I increase protein intake the next day, is it already too late to satisfy yesterdays needs? How long is the window, 1 day, 2 days?

Second question
Thanks to Newton's 2nd, and the following page
http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/FitnessComponents.html
Is it reasonable to believe that if I do bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, etc) with increased acceleration I can build strength just as well as lifting barbells/dumbbells? Bruce Lees one inch punch comes to mind...

I know... the common sense answers are to eat lots of protein powder regulary for the first answer, and forgo bodyweight for real weights for the second answer. It's a long story, but I have access to neither at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:31 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Protein: Don't worry about it. Just get as much as you need and spread it out through the day. The idea is to keep some available to your body at all times. Eating meat, fish or eggs at least 3 times a day should be enough.

Acceleration: Yes, the higher the acceleration, the higher the force required and that will build strength. It also causes the all-important fast twitch fibers to get engaged. Your body doesn't really know the difference between barbells or body weight.

Note that this is a simplistic answer. Obviously you can optimize your results if you had access to the right tools, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only think I could think of is that you would be a little extra dehydrated in the morning. More protein helps everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 am 
n00b
n00b

Im pretty good with hydration, thanks to habits from the Army days. I try to maintain the state where 1 cup in = 1 cup out.