ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fatty Liver
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:38 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

A couple of times, I've paraphrased Dr. Eades who said in his new book, "The Six Week Solution" that saturated fat reduces fatty liver. In fact this isn't exactly true. I don't have a copy of his book but I'm pretty sure I quoted him correctly, though.

In fact, saturated fats can cause an increase in fatty liver in some circumstances. the critical piece is whether there is enough choline in the diet. It is CHOLINE that corrects fatty liver. It seems that saturated fats can make a choline deficient diet worse, and in fact all fats increase the demand for choline. Fortunately, the best sources of choline are in some high saturated fat foods which is may exlpain why the high saturated fat recommendation still worked.

Choline is found primarily in egg yolks and liver and to a smaller degree, salmon, wheat germ, soy and MILK. Dr. Eades preferred source of saturated fats was cream. Cream contains choline. Therefore, he saw reduced fatty liver but not because of the saturated fats, but because of the choline. had he picked beef drippings, for example, I doubt he would have seen the same results.

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/ ... yolks.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:00 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What is fatty liver? When your liver has to much fat on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:11 pm 

It's linked to obesity, metabolic syndrome and excess abdominal fat. It's completely diet related. It may be a main causal factor in heart disease and diabetes.

http://www.suite101.com/content/excess- ... rs-a132498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:53 am 
former lurker

Good resource. Wikipedia and Medical Dictionary had good Fatty Liver info too.

Post subject: Re: Fatty Liver
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:17 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

stuward wrote:
A couple of times, I've paraphrased Dr. Eades who said in his new book, "The Six Week Solution" that saturated fat reduces fatty liver. In fact this isn't exactly true. I don't have a copy of his book but I'm pretty sure I quoted him correctly, though.

In fact, saturated fats can cause an increase in fatty liver in some circumstances. the critical piece is whether there is enough choline in the diet. It is CHOLINE that corrects fatty liver. It seems that saturated fats can make a choline deficient diet worse, and in fact all fats increase the demand for choline. Fortunately, the best sources of choline are in some high saturated fat foods which is may exlpain why the high saturated fat recommendation still worked.

Choline is found primarily in egg yolks and liver and to a smaller degree, salmon, wheat germ, soy and MILK. Dr. Eades preferred source of saturated fats was cream. Cream contains choline. Therefore, he saw reduced fatty liver but not because of the saturated fats, but because of the choline. had he picked beef drippings, for example, I doubt he would have seen the same results.

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/ ... yolks.html

Hi Stu,

Why the interesting in fatty liver?

My sister has it. However, like many my sister doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it...no matter what I say.

I don't know much about it. Thanks for the post. I'll read it over and may have questions for you.

Kenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:50 am 

Kenny, my interest comes from my attempts at losing the last bit of fat around my abs and general health concerns. As well my daughter has UC which has a connection with the liver. Maintaining a healthy liver seems to be a key step in maintaining a healthy body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:28 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

we get a lot of friendly new folk.