ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Funny stuff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 am 

I definitely don't want to start another 'that guy' thread, but I had to share this. This dumbarse who just moved here from California (ask me how I know) was doing weighted dips with a 45 plate yesterday...

Wait for it...

He was doing weighted dips on the dip assist machine. Anyone want to guess how much the machine was compensating for?

This was a new one for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 am 

20KG?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

Bet he doesn't tell anyone that he uses the machine... just that he adds the weight... lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 pm 

And how do you know that he just moved from California? You said to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm 

That's the other part of the story. I was putting my boards away. The gym allows me to keep my stuff in a small storage room. I have had to write "Don't use my stuff if you are too f..... stupid to put it back," on one of my boards. I put that board on top of my stack in the bag. Obviously I've had problems in the past.

This putz, follows me into the small storage room. I have my Ipod going and am a little winded. I keep my Ipod on for the main reason to keep people from talking to me and allows me ignore random people in a socially acceptable way. Anyway, this guy isn't able to get my attention right away. He finally surprises me by yelling "Hey!" Having seen him pull the little weighted assisted work stunt, I know he is excited about my equipment. I pull my buds out and he asks me, "Do you use the boards because you couldn't get the weight up without them?"

That is an insult to me. I just got through pushing 405 for 2 reps. I was using the different boards for assistant work at 315 - 5 sets of 8 going from three board, two board, one board with a pause at the bottom. I am already pissed off for missing my third rep and knowing I'm going to have to drop down 10%. I DON'T particularly want to talk to anyone.

I tell the guy, that boards are used in powerlifting and put my ear buds back in hopefully with him getting the hint that I don't want to talk. He presses me for information, proceeds to introduce himself to me and tells me he just moved from Califonia. His name is Robert by the way. The manager and a body builder tell me later that he asked for a spot - on the smith machine - for shrugs - for 2 reps - where they ended up lifting most of the weight.

I won't go into the whole California migration to my part of Texas and how it pisses me off.

Note: I know boards aren't recommended for raw lifters, but I was bored and was looking for a change.

And that, Doc, is how I know he just moved from Califonia. Oh and his name is Robert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 am 

i apologise on behalf of Roberts everywhere.
i know this isn't about 'that guy', but i'd like to attempt to prove we're not all of his ilk with two distractions:

#1:
last week I was pressing in the squat rack, which is beside the smith machine. along comes someone i recognise as a regular gym attender. he starts sliding the weights onto the floor from the bar, which at the time was around 5ft off the ground.

drop. SMASH.

i couldn't help but look at the dropped 10kg plate. he notices, stops and says quite pleasantly "oh, were you working here?".

i've learnt that actually saying what i think doesn't win popularity contents. but. he did ask. i respond as politely as i can manage: 'i just wondered why you didn't put the weight back on the rack' (which was, to make the point, less distance to the bar on the smith machine than the floor).

a pause. my honesty loses another potential friend. he goes into scolded child - "BECAUSE I AM GOING TO USE IT, MATE". Mate is usually friendly. Not today. i say nothing and go back to pressing. he picks up and places 1 10kg plate on the rack. he does 2 sets of 8 seated smith machine presses with whatever was left on the bar, and walks away.

distraction #2:
wife and I had been using the squat rack for around 5 minutes. two sets in, out of five, a trainer we hadn't seen before, with a client in tow, walks over. "we had three sets left; we'll need the rack, ok."

"sure you can work in. that. is not a problem."

we do our work. when finished, i ask what weight they need - a different bar and 40kg. to be nice i replace the bar and set the weights on one side. they work. we chat. they finish their half squats, rerack and walk away.

hmm...

so, i place their bar on the floor and set ours. we work. wife finishes. "let's get a drink", i say with unnecessary volume. and off we wander.

we return to observe team 'take the rack' pulling the weights off the bar on the floor because they couldn't move it. eventually they reset their bar and work. more half squatting. this time, however, lesson learned. when they finish, they remove the weights.

we swap bars, do our work, and when done even receive assistance from the trainer with resetting the bar.

this Robert coulda been a teacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:49 am 

hoosegow wrote:
I won't go into the whole California migration to my part of Texas and how it pisses me off.

Note: I know boards aren't recommended for raw lifters, but I was bored and was looking for a change.

And that, Doc, is how I know he just moved from Califonia. Oh and his name is Robert.

Well, this certainly reminded me of the old joke about the Callifornian, the Texan and the Seattleite drinking in the bar. Maybe another time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with raw lifters using boards. Not the same purpose exactly as a geared lifter (as far as I've heard), but surely helps the top part of the ROM, etc.

Next time be sure to address him as "Bob" or "Bobby" and ask how his weighted assisted dips are going. Maybe suggest he increase the weight, and to be sure to dial the weight into the machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 am 
Novice
Novice

He was cutting corners, he was doing assisted, bodyweight and weighted dips all at the same time, maybe he's on to something (or more likely on something).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:51 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I was doing Bench Press and I needed a spotter so I asked the guy who was closest to me. So I get in position and he puts his freakin arms underneath the barbell so it's resting on his elbow joint!! Then he's says, Ok, Go! and of course I can't even get a full ROM (His arms are in the way) and he drives the weight up, I hardly pressed at all. I told him, only help in case I start falling! So I did it again and I start stalling just a little and he grabs the bar and drives it up and then he starts telling me to do more...

After that someone else in front of me said, "I'll spot you." and the other guy goes back to doing his half rep incline bench press. So this new guy actually spotted me correctly and he asked me to spot him too.

So, I'm in position and just as I was about to help him, cause he was struggling too much, the other guy comes running over and grabs the barbell right in front of me and drives it up for him.

The guy benching FREAKD out on this guy and told him to go fv(k off. The guy was scared $h1t lol, everything was fine after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:32 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Overzealous spotters are kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 pm 

GTO wrote:
He was cutting corners, he was doing assisted, bodyweight and weighted dips all at the same time, maybe he's on to something (or more likely on something).

:lol: Great for those on the go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jebus wrote:
So, I'm in position and just as I was about to help him, cause he was struggling too much, the other guy comes running over and grabs the barbell right in front of me and drives it up for him.

The guy benching FREAKD out on this guy and told him to go fv(k off. The guy was scared $h1t lol, everything was fine after that.

Hahaha... what on earth would possess him to do that, if a gal/guy is big enough to be able (or barely able) to bench something that you can't deadlift (with his/her assistance) to a safe distance, you will know about it, everyone will know about it, especially the person who is able to bench 350lbs - it's not a gym knowledge thing is it... its adding up some logical stuff, it's easier to pull a weight up from the spot position than it is to push it from your chest, so if someone even has a 50/50 chance of getting it off their chest then someone can obviously prevent it crushing them.

And "that guy" threads are funny Hoose - especially in the lounge - so IMO go for it - might stop me getting elbowed in the nose off 400lb benching texans too :wink:

But I do have a little sympathy for your new California friend :) we're all pretty stupid in the gym at some point, as a sub 1 year solid training guy people with a few years under their belt will likely roll their eyes at some of my questions - but if occasionally bugging someone like you stops them doing "weighted assisted pull ups" then...

But clearly theres a scale, just because you are more experienced doesn't mean you are a free tutor to less experienced peeps any time your in the gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:24 am 

Matt Z wrote:
Overzealous spotters are kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Mine too. As are Overzeoulous "spot-ees". If that makes any sense at all.

"hey, can you give me a spot" - as you then follow him over to the Smith machine.

I love this guy who always asks me to spot his DB bench. He brings it down about 3 inches and always says, "was that low enough". I say, "no, not really". Then he does the same again. "was that low enough". "no, it was exactly the same, maybe get used to it with less weight first". This same conversation has went on for years. It sickens me. He actually lifts his head and watches himself in the mirror, too. Why even ask? I've just started saying, "yes, it was fine".

In commercial gyms, "a spot", basically means, "forced reps". ROM during said reps is completely up for debate.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:32 am 

Yup, the spot thing is definitely an issue, there's only a couple of guys in my gym I'll ask for a spot. If worst comes to the worst and I have to ask someone else I give them very precise instructions. I probably come off as a total @$$h0l3 when I do it but I don't care I'm sick of folk putting their hands on the bar when it's not needed. I firmly believe that if somene else had to touch it then it doesn't count as a lift. Bad spotters have ruined PRs for me in the past by doing that annoying 2 finger lift thing.

And yeah what's the deal with wanting a spot in the Smith? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the Smith in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 am 

while wasting time between classes at uni today I found this on one of the T-Nation threads.

http://www.livestrong.com/video/3953-do ... der-press/

Oh dear.