Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaning Out Game Plan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi folks.

I am trying to lean out a bit. If I had to guess I'd put myself at around 19%bf. I just switched from SS to working on Wendler's 5/3/1 boring but big program 4 days a week. I want to make sure that my plan will get me where I want to go - keeping my muscle and dropping some of the fat.

Current BMR: 2132.22
Add in Moderate Activity multiplier - 1.55
=
3304.9 calories to maintain weight

My strategy is to keep it right around 3000 calories/day. Example: Yesterday I calculated out at 2,941 calories (per FitDay), with a macro breakdown of: Fat 160.8g, Carbs 90.4 (more than half of these are post-workout), Protein 278.1. All of these are from meat/veggie/fruit food sources with the exception of Bacon and 16oz of Milk.

Looking for any input that you guys have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:30 am 

Are you including and HIIT, complexes, sprinting, sled dragging, etc? You can a metabolic boost out of Boring but Big but you have to keep the rest periods short and the bar speed high. That limits the weight a bit and may or may not give you the results you want. You might do better with an agressive cardio boost at the end of your workouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
Are you including and HIIT, complexes, sprinting, sled dragging, etc? You can a metabolic boost out of Boring but Big but you have to keep the rest periods short and the bar speed high. That limits the weight a bit and may or may not give you the results you want. You might do better with an agressive cardio boost at the end of your workouts.

Conditioning is one of my question marks right now. I know LSD is not typically recommended but I do *love* to run, I keep it pretty short, and I'd like to keep that in there when the weather gets nice. I live in the northeast and traditionally I've done trail runs 3x a week (roughly 3 miles, 8-9 minute miles). Outside of that, I was tossing around the idea of some DB complexes and/or picking up a prowler. So it would probably end up looking something like this:

Sunday: Trail Run, Lift(Press)
Monday: Lift(DL)
Tuesday: Trail Run / HIT (Prowler/Sprints)
Wednesday: Lift(Bench)
Thursday: Lift(Squat)
Friday: Trail Run / HIT
Saturday: Rest

Is this going to be too much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm 

No, that looks appropriate. You could even incorporate your sprints into your trail runs. Maybe sprint up the hills and jog down. Have fun with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:14 pm 

I don't have a lot to add, except.. I would be quite leary of FitDay's calorie used estimates. They seem a bit high for me.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

wilburburns wrote:
I don't have a lot to add, except.. I would be quite leary of FitDay's calorie used estimates. They seem a bit high for me.

Cliff

I had a gut feeling about that. I eat a lot of meat, so I tend to calculate to lbs on FitDay - does a pound of chicken really have 1600+ calories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:49 pm 

jackthestrat wrote:
wilburburns wrote:

Cliff

I had a gut feeling about that. I eat a lot of meat, so I tend to calculate to lbs on FitDay - does a pound of chicken really have 1600+ calories?

Depends on which part.

A pound of typical chicken breasts is about 100-120 calories per 4oz, so a pound would only be 400-440 calories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

NightFaLL wrote:
jackthestrat wrote:
wilburburns wrote:

Cliff

Depends on which part.

A pound of typical chicken breasts is about 100-120 calories per 4oz, so a pound would only be 400-440 calories.

Yikes. Do you recommend a better source for this kind of caloric info other than the interwebz?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:06 pm 

Fitday Calculates the following for 16oz raw Boneless Chicken breast (yield, after cooking)

Cal: 562
Fat: 22g
Carb: 0g
Protein: 85g

Don't know how accurate that is, Nightfall where are your numbers coming from?

More importantly, I was referring to the how many calories Fitday estimates I use each day. According to them, I should always be in a caloric deficit, but I can say for a fact I'm not losing weight and a high rate. Therefore, I must burn fewer calories than they estimate.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 pm 

wilburburns wrote:
Fitday Calculates the following for 16oz raw Boneless Chicken breast (yield, after cooking)

Cal: 562
Fat: 22g
Carb: 0g
Protein: 85g

Don't know how accurate that is, Nightfall where are your numbers coming from?

More importantly, I was referring to the how many calories Fitday estimates I use each day. According to them, I should always be in a caloric deficit, but I can say for a fact I'm not losing weight and a high rate. Therefore, I must burn fewer calories than they estimate.

Cliff

The back of almost any chicken breasts that you can find at a supermarket.

Chicken breasts, depending on how much sodium/water is pumped in to them, tend to be about 1-2g fat for 22-24g protein per 4oz - that'll range from about ~98 calories up to ~114 calories.

You can also find this kind of info on nutritiondata.com or livestrong.com - fitday is pretty well known for being inaccurate with their food calorie/macro content, although the chicken breast you listed isn't that far off.

If that 16oz breast you posted was broken down to 1/4th (4oz) it'd be ~140 calories, ~5g fat (kinda high, most chk breasts won't have that much), ~21g protein (kinda low for the amount of fat, typically when fat is higher so is protein - because it means they haven't pumped as much water/sodium in).