Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cod Liver Oil Question!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:17 am 
Novice
Novice

Hello!
First post here, I often use the exercise database on this site and when I saw there were forums I thought I'd better join up.

I've just started getting properly into lifting, and I think I am decently clued up on the basics of what I need to know.

What I would like to know, and am finding hard to find online regarding this specific question - is some information regarding cod liver oil.

I have some capsules that I bought a while back. They say they are one a day and not to exceed the recommended dosage. However I feel like it can't be enough in just one capsule to be worthwhile even taking them. The capsules are so small.

In a capsule there is :

Pure Cod Liver Oil 525 mg
Providing Omega-3 nutrients 120 mg
of which EPA & DHA 85 mg

It's these capsules if it matters:

http://www.seven-seas.com/cod-liver-oil ... 0-capsules

The only reason I don't just take more anyway is because it says not to exceed the dosage - but I assume that someone who is training will need a lot more than a 'normal' person. I know the recommended intake is just companies covering their ass, but I'd like to know how much fish oil you guys take. And if cod liver oil is even the best one to take?

Are capsules the best way to take it, or would I be better taking it liquid - even if it is utterly disgusting haha I will just MAN MY WAY THROUGH IT!

also, I did a quick search on the forums, but about 4 pages in I hadn't seen anything relating to my question so I thought I'd just post up a topic.

Feel free to slap me about if I shoulda searched longer!

Thanks,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:51 am 

Those amounts are small for the DHA and EPA so it would be tempting to up the dose. However, it's mostly Cod liver Oil which is high in Vitamin A. You will quickly get to much of that which will interfere with your vitamin d absorption. Better would be to continue with the recommended dosage and supplement with fish oil. Even better would be to eat more salmon or sardines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Stuward, im not a big salmon fan but ill give it a shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:10 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

DavidMcF wrote:
Thanks Stuward, im not a big salmon fan but ill give it a shot!

Yea its totally hit and miss with me if I can eat salmon, sometimes I'm in the mood for it but sometimes if I had a full meal served to me and it was salmon I'd have to apologise profusely and offer to pay for the waste, because I literally feel like vomiting from it/gag.

I eat a decent amount of tuna to compensate, and maybe one serving of salmon a week/sometimes two weeks.

Flax seed oil is high in Omega 3 I believe, I dont use it myself though, but one to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 am 
Novice
Novice

Its not THAT bad :wink:

I just find it a bit $h1t!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:18 pm 

I thought you Scottish guys likes salmon. Anyway, the best source for omega 3 is fatty fish. Salmon just happens to be my favorite. Tuna and sardines are also good sources. Tuna has a bit more mercury in it. There is question as to whether the O3 from plant sources is of any value due to it's low conversion rate to DHA and EPA. Fish oil capsules will do the job nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

I quite like tuna,

Tuna and cheese toasties - awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:07 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

DavidMcF wrote:
Its not THAT bad :wink:

I just find it a bit $h1t!

Hehe I think its a texture thing - I'm not much of a fussy eater but yea... Salmon is a pretty unique one since I can actually really like it but sometimes my stomach just says Nooooo don't want :smile:

And yea Stuward - I really havent looked into the whole flax seed thing Its just the first thing I think of if people hate fatty/oily fish, but I'm not well up on the difference.