Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My local gym is......
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

:evil:

Turning in to a health spa! Recently the local gym that I am a member of decided to replace some of the aging equipment. Okay, sounds good so far. Well "they" decided to replace the equipment that lifters actually used and liked with cabled, selectable weight machines.

Some of the equipment replaced -

Power Rack - Gone
T-Bar Row - Gone
Seated overhead press (barbell) - Gone
Seated Hammer Strength Press ( 2 variants) - Gone
Seated Hammer Strength Lat Pull (iso) - Gone

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The big one is the power rack. We only had two to begin with and it was always a bottleneck area already. Now we are down to one and a multipurpose press rack/half cage thing. This is all on top of, about a year ago they made some other changes like reducing the max dumbell weight and removed a DL/Bent row platform.

In fairness I haven't even looked at the new equipment yet so I have no idea how "good" it is. But I will say that I know it is not MY style.

Anyway, sorry had to vent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What is "Seated overhead press (barbell)" equipment? Other than a "chair"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Essentially a chair that has bar supports similar to a bench (flat, incline, decline) in front and behind so that you have somewhere to put the bar between sets.

I can do a similar exercise with dumbells which obviously don't require any type of bar support but, sometimes you just want to use a bar. You know what I mean.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:22 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ah yea I don't have any racks like that so use dumbbells for all weighted arm work. I don't think I'm missing out too much on the arm stuff though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

TravisF wrote:
:evil:

Turning in to a health spa! Recently the local gym that I am a member of decided to replace some of the aging equipment. Okay, sounds good so far. Well "they" decided to replace the equipment that lifters actually used and liked with cabled, selectable weight machines.

Some of the equipment replaced -

Power Rack - Gone
T-Bar Row - Gone
Seated overhead press (barbell) - Gone
Seated Hammer Strength Press ( 2 variants) - Gone
Seated Hammer Strength Lat Pull (iso) - Gone

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The big one is the power rack. We only had two to begin with and it was always a bottleneck area already. Now we are down to one and a multipurpose press rack/half cage thing. This is all on top of, about a year ago they made some other changes like reducing the max dumbell weight and removed a DL/Bent row platform.

In fairness I haven't even looked at the new equipment yet so I have no idea how "good" it is. But I will say that I know it is not MY style.

Anyway, sorry had to vent!

Heh, that's nothing. I read about some gyms from the same line of gyms I work out in that one guy was forbidden to do the deadlift because everytime he went back down and the weights touched the floor, it was a bit noisy.

On top of that, chalk isn't allowed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

IceDane wrote:
Heh, that's nothing. I read about some gyms from the same line of gyms I work out in that one guy was forbidden to do the deadlift because everytime he went back down and the weights touched the floor, it was a bit noisy.

On top of that, chalk isn't allowed.

heh ... A co-worker of mine (while he was still in college) .. said the campus gym wouldn't let you lift weights over your head (dumbbells or barbells) -- I asked him how/where the football players trained .. he didn't know .. but the college has a great non-winning streak going !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Update:

Same $h1t... Same gym!.......... Feels like same day!

Lost another PowerCage(Squat rack), Leg Press.

That's about it for the things that bothered me; this time. I fear for what is to come next year.

Other equipment gone: Preacher curl thing: Dip machince: tricep apparatus I never used to figure out the true purpose of....

I wish I was individually wealthy so I could open a no holds barred gym!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:06 pm 

Just ask them to sell you the old stuff and set up a gym in your garage/basement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:13 pm 

Take your business elsewhere!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 am 
Novice
Novice

Chain yourself to the managers desk until they bring it all back.

i still havent found anywhere to train since they got rid of the free weights at my gym.

i have started to sneak weights into the fire station but i have to train when no one is looking cos free weights have been banned due to some bonehead tripping over a dumbell and putting a claim in against the service. there is always one to spoil it for the rest of us !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Grifftan wrote:
some bonehead tripping over a dumbell and putting a claim in against the service. there is always one to spoil it for the rest of us !!!

We have a free drinks/coffee machine at work and its not *that* bad, obviously free instant coffee is going to suffer but anyway...

Gotta sign that, someone burned themself with a kettle and instead of thinking "dammit im 30 years old I should know how to avoid kettle burns" they went "The owner of the company should have dived in between me and the kettle at the precise moment I was about to burn myself, it was entirely the companies fault, and the only cure for my trauma is cash and time off"

so now we cant make decent coffee because they wont let us have kettles in the break area.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm 

TravisF wrote:
I wish I was individually wealthy so I could open a no holds barred gym!

Wouldn't that be great? Gyms that are toned down have become a common theme these days. I'm constantly hearing ads for planet fitness, a gym for the average Joe, no "roided up meatheads." Very irritating that it takes making a comfy gym in order to get some of these lowly suckers to do something healthy for themselves. But really my point is these gyms that are geared towards bodybuilders don't profit or last.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Except Golds.....and World gym.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Ironman wrote:
Except Golds.....and World gym.....

But...... the gym I'm refering to IS a Gold's Gym. I'm starting to believe that they have a new franchise option - "Gold's Health Club".

I just returned from a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean and the on ship gym was not too dissimilar from the Gold's Gym I am a member at. There were two exceptions; one, there was no squat rack/power cage (understandable) and two, the dumbells on the ship actually went heavier than what we have at the gym :scratch: .

Travis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, it must vary by location. The one I go to is actually known for having a lot of members that obviously use steroids.