ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:57 pm 
former lurker

Hi everyone! I'm new to the message boards but I purchased a cd from the site before, b/c this site is the truth! I'm 5'10", 165 lbs. I want to lose some body fat - a lil around the waist - (too much partying after returning from Iraq) but at the same time increase muscle composition.

My friends have doubts about this low volume regimen (especially b/c I'm getting out of the gym earlier than they are while they're doing four to five sets for each muscle) but I told them I read it on this site! I have my doubters and I want to make sure that my understanding is correct and that I haven't missed anything so I can achieve my goals.

I've put together a workout based on my understanding of the Low Volume training in conjunction with a Light/Heavy Training interval of XHHXLLX. I've tried to put together the information as consistently as possible but I need an expert opinion.

I just want to know if someone can affirm or correct any misunderstandings I may have of this workout:

On the 'Heavy Days' (M,Tue) I should start with a warmup set of 50% in the range of 12-15 reps (not to volitional fatigue) followed by a set of 6-9 reps (to volitional fatigue). Rest is longer in between sets. How long should the rest be?

On the 'Light Days' I do a warmup set as usual. But do I now I follow this up with two sets of 10-15??? Rests are shorter in between sets. How short though?

I also split up my workout to upper body days + a 15 min interval run on the treadmill (I would sprint if it wasn't so inconvenient) at the end of the workout and lower body days with core exercises at the end of the workout.

As far as the italicized exercises (auxiliary) when and are they necessary?

Well there's my workout. I'm open to suggestions. Spread the knowledge guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:01 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I think your heavy days are laid out fine. Working in the neighborhood of 6-9reps should put you in the neighborhood of around 75-85% 1RM, and with these inroads into your CNS, you could easily do with about 2-3 mins rest between sets A seond workset might not hurt either. When I was into the PL thing about 15-20 years ago, we used to plan our workouts by %'s and rep goals for the day. Say we were working 85% of 1 RM for a top set of 6 reps. rather than busting butt and repping out doing more reps, or doing multiple sets of our top weight with 6 reps, we would do the warmup (or 2 if needed) and hit a top workset (very close to maximal) and then do another set of 3 with the same weight, then a set of 2 with that same top weight. Didn't beat up the CNS as much, but going with one maximal work set as you have planned will work, for a while anyway. It's an adaptation of HIT, and some swear by it.
Now, the light days, 10-15 reps, a couple of sets will probably put you in the 65-70% 1RM range, and won't make hard inroads into your CNS recovery time, so 60-90 seconds should probably be sufficient.
Auxilliary exercises. Well, they can be beneficial. For a PL type that's interested in Sq, BP, and DL, some of them won't be as necessary, but it's really up to you to decide. If you've got enough gas in the tank, then throw a couple in with the main exercises and see how it goes
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:03 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Auxiliary exercises are good for targeting muscle groups like side delts that don't typically get enough stimulation from major compound movements. They're also good for addressing weak points like my biceps. Finally, you may use them to rehab and/or prevent injuries (think rotator cuffs).