ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: forearm shin-splints
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:16 pm 
n00b
n00b

I know everyone has experianced shin-splints but lately I've been getting a shin-splint type pain in the under part of the forearm, its a sharp pain not a soreness. It makes bi and back days horribly painful. Any exercises i can do or just let it rest...just for your info I hate not being able to lift so taking days off is more painful. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:50 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Take a look here

Scroll down to Golfer's Elbow / Wrist Flexor Tendonitis

As for treatment, that would be best with a sports-oriented physician if a week of rest and ice doesn't improve things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:58 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had forearm pain when I did bent-over barbell rows, so now I exercise the lats using the sit-down lat-pull machine (or whatever it's called). I think I'm getting a better work out, and my forearms don't hurt. Amazing what you CAN'T do when your forearms are out of commission. Like pick up a phone book...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:40 pm 

I am with you mikek. Does this sound like it? If you lay your hand in front of you with the tips of your index fingers touching, it is on the bone facing away from you. You go about 1/2 up your forearm right before the muscle starts getting bigger. It doesn't hurt 90% of the time. Maybe a dull ache and maybe slight pain when you type.

Mine hurts the worst when I am doing curls with a straight bar. I don't know why. If you gut it through the pain almost won't allow you to let go of the bar. When I do preacher curls it hurts when I am about 3/4 of the way up. On back days it hurts because you have to grip so hard. When you let go, the pain, other than a dull ache is gone.

Sound right? I don't know what the hell it is. I started getting mine when I switched from a wide grip preacher to a close grip preacher curl. What I have found that helps (one week off in Cozumel was pretty helpful) was to have a good wrist wrap to stabilize the wrist. I'm not talking about the ones on gloves, but the power lifting type. Inzer makes mine. Wrap them tight, but take it off imediately after the set. It hurt. I also use lifting straps for deadlift, bent over rows and some shoulder exercises. I know it isn't good for fore arm developement, but it gets me through my workout. I started using the straps because my thumbs kept dislocating while I lifted (the consequences of being an old offensive lineman).

Let me know what you find out. It sure the hell feels like the same pain you get when you get shin splints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thats the exact same pain. Ill buy some straps tomorrow, did arms today and they were hurting pretty bad, hopefully the straps help with back tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:58 pm 

I still get the pain. The straps and wraps mitigate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:33 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Brachio-radialis weakness or pinched nerve. FOcus on hammer curls and wrist lateral flexion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:53 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I get the same pain when I do barbel curls. When I switched to dumbell curls, it rarely, almost never happens. Does not happen with anything except the curls either, not pull ups or rows or anything. Maybe its the awkwardness of holding the barbell when curling or something...