ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

ok to clarify, the thread starter is obviously not American or Canadian. I am also a medical student - the "6th year student" confusion stems from the fact that Europe's and I believe most of the worlds medical schools are 6 year programs directly after high-school, not 4 years pre-med and 4 years actual medicine... why waste time learning relatively useless subjects like Physics, Calculus, and Chemistry? The only reason I can think of (other than to make more money on course fees, since North American universities are more or less all private institutions), is to make sure only the math/science kids get in.

Anyway, back to the topic, people who have kidney failure must limit protein consumption to conserve their kidneys as long as possible before they need dialysis or a transplant, whatever the underlying disease is.

Kidneys on a high protein diet have to "work harder", just like a heart in a person with hypertension has to "work harder". With heart disease its proven that a harder-working heart will fail or infarct faster. With kidneys its harder, since everyones renal function declines with age regardless, and most people without underlying kidney problems are going to die of something else before it becomes an issue.

The 1 year study is reassuring that nothing is going to happen to you now, but theoretically, in the long, long run? You'd need a test group with a) healthy kidneys and b) very high protein consumption for many years. Such a study would be hard to control since the group would most likely be professional weight lifters most of which took a $h1t load of other drugs during their careers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 pm 

Comparing kidney's working harder and hypertension is a fairly ridiculous comparison, just so you know. You should probably try a different argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NightFaLL wrote:
Comparing kidney's working harder and hypertension is a fairly ridiculous comparison, just so you know. You should probably try a different argument.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to expand on this, there is no evidence that high protein consumption has any effect on people with normal kidney function. The basis for this myth is that people with kidney problems have trouble with protein. I have been on a high protein diet for a very long time. My kidney function is perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

when the "high protein diet ruins your kidneys" myth finally dies, I'll dance on its grave.