ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm 
What about swimming, is it a good way to burn fat?.. not lose weight, just burn fat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think it is. I have heard people rip on it, but not many. I love to swim and I know it uses a lot of energy because nothing makes me feel tired and hungry like swimming. There are also exercises you can do in the water. It can be used for cardio, anaerobic work outs, any type of interval. The water provides some resistence too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:32 pm 

As far as I know, swiimming is not a good way to burn fat.

This mainly has to do with the non-weight bearing nature of being in the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:02 am 
Novice
Novice

For a 175 lb. man swimming 30 minutes burns 700 to 800 calories. This is because of the resistence of the water. There are also water exercises and I have no idea what they burn, but I would think it is about the same as regular swimming. If you increase the pace of the swimming to make it anaerobic, it will burn a lot more fat then staying in the aerobic range. Interval training uses a lot of energy and you can adapt that to the water also.

By the way, I am talking vigorous lap swimming, not just splashing around in the pool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:27 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I know someone, personally, who lost 200lbs swimming.

and.. I have ANOTHER friend who lost 75lbs swimming!

I don't swim much, for one thing, I'm not into anything that puts me in the sun for a long time, and I don't have good pool access. BUT..sometimes when I am traveling I am lucky enough to get a hotel with a nice long lap pool, so I'll give it a go..and I'll tell you what, it kicks my BUTT.

And I bet if Ryan did laps for about 20 minutes, he'd change his mind about swimming <g>

Plus.. it almost goes without saying that the more weight you have to lose, the better swimming is. For the very overweight, all that walking, running, treadmilling stuff is just so hard on the knees and back. In the water, the impact issues all disappear.

And seriously, I've never done anything that made my heart pound so hard, and made me gasp for breath like some kind of asthmatic! it's TOUGH.

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:03 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I really can't say for a fact, but I do know from personal experience, that swimming, along with weights and riding my bike 2 miles to, and 2 miles back from the lake when I was a kid,in combination with a cleaned up diet, I dropped a lot of fat hich I'd gained after I busted up my knee and spent two months in a cast. Just looking at it, I would say it was a combo, but swimming was in the equation (laps) so I wouldn't count it out.
Also, although it isn't related to fat loss, someone brought up the subject of water exercises. My step mother uses them all the time, and they seem to do well by her, and because of the water resistance, they are very kind to her joints. I also know some O lifters that (don't laugh, they swear by it) do their pulling moves off the ground in a pol to get the water resistance into the mix.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:30 pm 
n00b
n00b

I've tried the olympic lifts in the pool. I found it very interesting to say the least. It really helped with balance i found.

I am a big fan of odd object lifting and found that lifting a big awkard stone is much more challenging (obviously), when you are pulling it out of a river or pond.

I was doing that for a little while in a pool as well. Man, i miss summer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:42 pm 

Yes, I am way off base.

Was confusing with something else.

Incidentally I used to swim a lot as a kid, but was still chubby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:56 am 

Hey Ryan, a bit OT, but I know you are in Davis Ca. Back when I grew up, we used to bisit my cousins in St Helena (Napa Valley), and Uncle Russ would drive us over to Putah Creek all the time, fishing in the morning, swimming during the day. This was in the late 50's, so I have no idea what it's like now, they my have doze it off and turned it into a parking lot for all I know.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:22 pm 

Putah Creek is still here but I dont think you can fish or swim in it anymore.

There are several picnic areas and bike trails/nice paths where you can walk along the creek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 pm 
I am always suprised to see the jump rope left out of cardio alternatives. Maybe because it takes a few weeks to get efficient. I been using it as an alternative to running just to mix stuff up a little and it's cardio benefits have been noticable among other things. I dislike cardio and especially hate having to "gear-up" to go do it. I stick mostly to running and mix it up with jump rope because it's quick and gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:31 am 
former lurker

I have very little time to do ANY exercise at all - would running on the spot for fifteen minutes 4 times a week be anything similar to running the same time on a treadmill?? it's got to be better than nothing!!?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:37 am 

Like you said, better than nothing. BTW, should workout for you just fine. It's movement, generating a higher heart rate.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:44 am 
former lurker

Do you burn the same calories though running on the spot compared to a treadmill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:42 am 

I have no idea, but I see no reason why they would be much different. You're running in place on a treadmill. I would think the difference would come into play only if you cranked in an incline on the treadmill.
Tim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next