ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regaining Strength?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm pretty sure I had minor strength loss over the summer. For most of the time, whatever I lost in size was made up for with a corresponding loss in fat, but I'm seeking to rebulk for a while now... should I just continue to lift like I did before, but with more calories in my diet? More importantly, will what I lost come back, or will it have to be regained the hard way?

Post subject: Re: Regaining Stength
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Your strength should return as your body and brain adapt to a heavier work load. Paying more attention to your protein and carb intake will help add new muscle. Something I've learned from my association with weight lifters of all types is that strength and size can't always be plugged into the same equasion.
My friend, Charles Venturella, a world champion powerlifter, weighs 148 lbs. and has benched 410 lbs. It's all in how you train and which muscle fibers you call into play, I believe. Whatever your goal, the hard way is always the best way in the gym. You have to get under the mountain to move it and climb it to stay on top.

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:41 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I agree with Keith, but to address the point he didn't comment on, will it return easily or the hard way.Well, if I were you, swallow up your ego, dump some weight, and start up. I've done this more times than I care to remember over the years (57 now), and I've found that with short layoffs, yes, you will struggle a bit on the start up, but it comes back very quickly once you are back into things. I won't even try to explain why this happens, because I don't totally understand it. Weider calls it "muscle memory", but I think that may be just one of his principles designed to sell his magazines and books, but I have found it to be true to a degree. Just don't expect to come back where you left off, work hard, and in a few weeks you should be back and possibly even ahead of where you left off
Tim

Post subject: "Muscle Memory"
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Weider wasn't too far off because your brain actually contains a map of every routine and every movement that you employed in the gym. Lance Armstrong lay wasted away by cancer, but he was able to run the program in his brain agin, once he was on two wheels. Champion figure skater, Scott Hamilton, is another example. It's there. Just pick up the weights and begin doing what you know and feel. I'm 56 and tore an RC back in March. I kept going to the gym and working my legs fairly heavy. Soon, I was able to work with dumbells, and cables. Now I am doing compound exercises to get my strength and size back. My doctor is amazed. The best advice is, "be patient and determined." Tim is correct when he says that you may exceed the gains you had made before. Your body is a marvelous machine than can overcome huge obstacles, once your mind is engaged.

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43 am 
Novice
Novice

(I am trying to encourage you by telling you that) I have always found that after each notable layoff, I have recovered faster and faster each time. It seems to be what some refer to as the muscle memory. I mean, if I lifted it before, my brain knows exactly how much effort is entailed. Look at incline bench press, and how fast the weight goes up in that exercise the first time you start doing it. Nerves and everything else have to learn, not just the muscle (increasing).

Protein shakes will help a lot.