ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 am 

I'm a marketing major at Ball State University and have a job lined up with Edward Jones as a Financial Adviser. I also just got asked to interview with Farmer's Insurance, but I think I'm going to end up sticking with EJ.

I'm curious, where does everyone else work? Do you enjoy it? Let me know, I'm new to the world of 'big kid' jobs, so it's pretty exciting to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:58 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Im jobless.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:46 pm 

Jebus wrote:
Im jobless.

More time to train!

Optimism, that's what we've got here...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

NightFaLL wrote:
Jebus wrote:
Im jobless.

More time to train!

Optimism, that's what we've got here...

Lol true. I need to get a new gym membership, for now, my home made wooden squat rack will have to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 pm 

I work for a hydraulic & pneumatic torque wrench company. I do project management/customer support.

I like 95% of my coworkers and the company itself but the work and reps I deal with can make it really stressful at times. I'm still new so I'm constantly worried I'm going to screw something major up and have a rep throw me under the bus over it.

That all being said, my department gets the brunt of the $h1t and because of that gets the most respect/recognition. So it has it's pluses and minuses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 am 
Novice
Novice

I work in a sandwich shop while I'm doing Business at uni :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I work in Internet marketing by day - standard 9-5 (well, half 8 till half 5) mon-fri. At nights i'm Batman. I mean, a Personal Trainer, in a commercial gym. I'm in here every night plus Saturdays, normally from around 10 till 6. I try and keep a Sunday off. I'm self employed in the gym so don't NEED to be in at certain times, it just depends when I have clients or potential clients - they don't care what you do as long as you pay the rent. I don't enjoy the day job but I love personal training. I done it like this because I wasn't really sure if I loved "training", or, "training people". Doing it on top of a full time job is a good way to test your motivation. The plan is to eventually do the Personal Training full time, although right now i'm sort of between a rock and a hard place with regards to that, but I cover the costs of working in the gym and have a decent little client base to build from.

I never really knew what I "liked" until a few years ago so, I got into the Internet side of things via "luck", and because it seemed like a good way to make a lot of money. In truth if I was truly dedicated to it, there's loads of money in it but, my heart lies elsewhere.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I work for a large IT company supplying various sized companies or govt departments with full infrastructure from USB pens to military level secure networks. My job is to manage (I'm not a manager) new offices being set up from being supplied with hardware and desk ports but stopping short of the server (seperate server team who supply and manage). So I have to get the hardware ordered/delivered/agreed/quoted then the other side where users are setup/provided with blackberry's/laptops - then accounts/software and individual needs (such as voice recognition stuff for RSI/disability peeps)

The pay is average/bordering on good but we have the typical grass is greener mentality when we see bills from contractors doing less work for double the pay (and theres no gaps in their work, so it isn't peaks and troughs), or rival companies with 20% higher wages - but the work environment is great - when theres no work in they don't give us inane crap to do and we have full net access so I can post here or even go through youtube which is great for a music addict like me. It's also one of those jobs where you can leave and clear your mind, bar a few busy periods, so none of this $h1t like emails on saturday or reports sunday night for monday's meetings (done that before and I don't want to give a vague impression that it was some 50k($80k) job, it wasn't, it was like [1 million dollars]($30k) - hated being on the end of the line out of work/at weekends for that wage).

Quote:
At nights i'm Batman.

Lol I don't know why that tickled me so much but... :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I work for Savvis (a large global hosting company) as a Unix/Linux systems engineer. Most of you are probably none the wiser as to what I do though. The easiest way to explain it, is I work on stuff like computers, but on a larger scale and more complex. I don't do the hardware, I mainly work on the operating systems, and some application work. I also work on load balancers, which are network devices that distribute the load between several servers. Like for example, if you go to a large companies website, there are several servers hosting the site, and the load balancer divides up the requests coming from the internet.

Sometimes it's better if I just leave it at "it's very technical".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:29 pm 
n00b
n00b

I Work At a Local Bakery In Denver Colorado... I'm also a full time student

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

NightFaLL wrote:
I'm curious, where does everyone else work? Do you enjoy it? Let me know, I'm new to the world of 'big kid' jobs, so it's pretty exciting to me.

I manage a Data Warehouse for a large publishing company. I enjoy it a great deal. I get to manage software development and also do analysis of the data in the warehouse itself, looking for ways to improve our product.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:40 pm 

I work part-time at a gym, an hour or so a week at a local Y (amounts to volunteer work at this point), and part-time at a private Japanese school teaching ESL.

I'm desperately trying to make that "full time at a gym, plus some hours on the side elsewhere." I used to do IT, but the suck-to-pay ratio wasn't good, which will tell you how much it sucked.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:02 am 

I work as a doctor at a rural mission hospital in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea. Prior to that I had a private practices in Montana and Washington for 15 years.

I stay in PNG for 21 months at a time, then have 3 months of "home assignment" in my home country, which happens to be the US. During this time my wife and I travel and speak in churches to promote the mission program. That's what I'm doing right now. Home assignment is a change of pace from field assignment, but can be just as exhausting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jungledoc wrote:
I work as a doctor at a rural mission hospital in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea. Prior to that I had a private practices in Montana and Washington for 15 years.

I stay in PNG for 21 months at a time, then have 3 months of "home assignment" in my home country, which happens to be the US. During this time my wife and I travel and speak in churches to promote the mission program. That's what I'm doing right now. Home assignment is a change of pace from field assignment, but can be just as exhausting.

I've said it before... But I think that is just so awesome that you go down there and help those people. That's nice when people are out there making a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:14 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I work in LifeValuation doing actuarial stuff in Alabama. I"m not accredited yet, such a procrastinator. Environment is great at current company. Very low turnover. Lots of folks have been there over 10 yrs.
Can't say the same about the job I had in Indiana doing the same work.

JungleDoc seems like a super good guy. But yeah, that's obvious.