ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I work as a doctor at a rural mission hospital in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea. Prior to that I had a private practices in Montana and Washington for 15 years.

I stay in PNG for 21 months at a time, then have 3 months of "home assignment" in my home country, which happens to be the US. During this time my wife and I travel and speak in churches to promote the mission program. That's what I'm doing right now. Home assignment is a change of pace from field assignment, but can be just as exhausting.

That's really cool. My wife and I met on a short-term trip to Peru, and she does short-term medical missions to Africa, in a couple of weeks she goes to Zambia. I manage the home front during those trips. She's starting to think about more sustainable efforts, and when the kids are in college we've always talked about permanent assignments. My job, I suspect, will be to haul boxes around :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 am 
former lurker

im an electrician at US Marine Corps Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan war zone :)
Yes I love my job because I work with smart and fun ppl.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:11 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm a student, but during the vacation I work in a woodshop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 am 

capybara wrote:
im an electrician at US Marine Corps Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan war zone :)
Yes I love my job because I work with smart and fun ppl.

Welcome! Are you a marine, or a civilian worker?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm 

As of now...I am working the front desk at a hotel. The suck to pay ratio, as pdellorto put it, really sucks here ;). I am a student but currently taking a break after I got my associate's of arts, which is rather pointless without moving on to a four year degree. Trouble is, I'm not sure exactly what to major in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:07 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hadn't answered up to this point as I thought therre was a previous thread on it. Anyway, retired out of the US Navy, as an Electronics tech (Mostly Radar and communications), and then went to work for Hughes on a contract for the Dept of the Navy as a commtech and Unix sysadmin for an at sea ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) program. Currently, after spending some time just chillin', took a supplementary job here at the beach as a cab driver. No hard times on the joints, nothing heavy to lift, pretty decent for my age, 61 years young.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

I run one of the DNA sequencing centers at research university

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 pm 

Rucifer wrote:
As of now...I am working the front desk at a hotel. The suck to pay ratio, as pdellorto put it, really sucks here ;). I am a student but currently taking a break after I got my associate's of arts, which is rather pointless without moving on to a four year degree. Trouble is, I'm not sure exactly what to major in...

I did it for a month to make some extra cash. Worked for the doubletree/hilton family of hotels. all the online training you have to go through is such bs. they messed with my hours all the time so when they called to tell me it's not working out, i told them they are right and it saved me having to make the same call to them.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm a fire fighter. I get to drive the big red fun bus and save cats from trees. I love my job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:31 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I quit my nice cushy top tier engineering desk job at Sprint wireless in N. Va. for self employment in beautiful and more friendly WV (not to mention, tons less traffic) where I work 12 - 18 hours a day in a 80 - 90 degree k-word attached to the bakery that my wife and I own. You can see that I'm trying to be a half full kind of guy. lol, it was the wifes idea. *shrug*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:41 am 

Sounds like a good trade to me!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:08 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Well if you can't tell by my ID and my picture I am an animal lover especially dogs. But yes I eat meat. I graduated from Architecture school but never practiced.

I am in the process of opening up a canine athletic facility where we will help dog owners get their dogs in shape through swimming and controlled exercises. We are negotiating the lease now and I hope to be open by the end of the year. (Although I said that last year)

Diana

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Currently a student entering my last year at Binghamton University (in upstate New York). Electrical Engineering Major.

For this summer I am an intern at BAE Systems in Johnson City (about 5 minutes away from my campus). A lovely position where I sit at my desk for about 9-9.5 hours a day. Thankfully, the gym I go to is only 3-5 minutes from here depending on the streetlights.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm a Research Librarian at the central library in Tulsa, Oklahoma.