ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breakfast
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:39 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I am currently eating one serving of kashi cereal(with no milk) and 6 eggs (2 with yolk, rest only whites). Now my problem is that the kashi cereal has about 47g of carb per serving, and I would like to further reduce my carb.

What else can i eat with my eggs besides kashi would you recommand? I was thinking reduce the serving of the kashi cereal to half a serving? I would like to bulk lean now, I still have a little bit of fat on my lower ab, and would like to fine tune my breakfast a little bit. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Breakfast
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:54 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Faisal wrote:
I would like to bulk lean now, I still have a little bit of fat on my lower ab, and would like to fine tune my breakfast a little bit. Thanks.

George G read: I would like to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time.

You need to decide what you want more. Do you want to get rid of the pot belly or to bulk? If you choose to get rid of the pot belly then you choose to CUT and then you can simply cut that serving in half if you determine that your breakfast has too much carbs. If you choose to bulk then you choose to keep the belly and to keep the full serving.

P.S. Add a piece of fruit to that breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:48 am 
Rookie
Rookie

George so it's not possible to bulk lean?

Because I can pretty much see all my abs now, just a very small amount of fat now. I was thinking maybe I can bulk up a little more, because I've shrunk a bit after leaning out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:45 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It sounded like you wanted to get rid of the pot belly and to bulk up at the same time. It is possible to bulk clean. Let's just agree on what it means to bulk clean. To me it means eating lots of good food, maximize muscle gains and to minimize fat gains, as opposed to eating KFC all day and gaining a lot of muscle and a lot of fat.

If you do any kind of bulk you have to be in a caloric surplus. Therefore, simulatneous fat loss is unlikely.

Read here: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do? ... 6-061-diet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:11 am 
Rookie
Rookie

First, thank you for the article, I will definitely want to bulk lean very soon, but what I really want now is to be leaner. I'm on a low-insulin diet, but I have no idea what to eat for breakfast besides eggs now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 am 
Novice
Novice

Is there a reason that breakfast must include eggs or that eggs are eaten almost exclusively at breakfast? I'm seriously asking, because they almost always seem to be included at breakfast but rarely at any other times of the day.

Don't get me wrong. I love eggs. But I can only handle any type of food for short bursts at a time. Maybe I'll get a hankering for eggs and want them every day for a month. But eventually I get fed up (no pun intended) with them and will have to find something else for a while. My diet is constantly revolving. I just can't stomach the same food for long and need a lot of variety to keep my appetite.

Personally, I like low fat cottage cheese at breakfast. Top a couple cups of it with a piece of fruit, and you've got a great breakfast. Either that, or I'll add a scoop or two of whey protein powder to some milk and rolled oats, and then eat it like cold cereal. Occasionally I'll eat some chicken or beef for breakfast if I'm in the mood. I figure that it's all going to get digested, so it's not really worth worrying about sticking to traditional meal plans as long as I'm getting the nutrients I need.

I do try to get carbs in my first meal of the day to stoke the furnace back to life, so to speak. Likewise, I try to avoid carbs at the end of the day and focus on more fat and protein. But aside from those two guidelines, I really don't think a clean bulk needs to be too complicated. Just avoid excessive saturated fat (e.g. fast food) if possible and focus on incorporating vegetables. Make sure to drink plenty of water, and the rest usually takes care of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I eat 6-7 dozen eggs a week...I eat them with every single meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:16 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can't seem to get away from fruit, fat-free yogurt, and oatmeal for breakfast. Protein shake is a snack. Of course, sometimes I'll eat my lunch at 10 a.m., but that's okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

Eating 6-7 dozen eggs a week can't be good for you cholesterol... unless you don't eat the yokes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:40 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I think 6-7 dozen eggs a week may be overdoing it for chloresterol, but frankly, they've shown that the chloesterol IN the eggs doesn't necessarily produce it in the body. It's a combinatio of a LOT of different factors, genetics being one. They've done studies with people on high carbohydrate, low protein and low fat diets, and they showed an increase in chloresterol, so go figure. I'd say 2-3 / day wouldn't hurt, especially if you mix it with some of that egg substitute or egg whites if you want to eat a ton of them. BTW, the egg subs on the market are just egg whites with food coloring and a few chemical additives for preservative reasons.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can eat egg yokes till you puke, every meal, every day and have no problem with cholesterol. It depends on what else you eat. Insulin is required for cholesterol synthesis. Without enough of it, you have nothing to worry about. Now if you had 6 dozen eggs and a couple dozen dougnuts, then you would have a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

Interesting... I love eggs but I've always been a little weary of overdoing them do to the high cholesterol content. I'll have to do some research on cholesterol.