ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Warrior Diet"
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:37 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Has anyone tried this (or anything like it)?
Does it make sense?
Unless it's just a dumb thing to do I'll try it this summer since I like to gorge and be completely satisfied when I do eat (I've been eating two really large meals at college), so It would actually fit my style well.
Would there be any supplements that would be particularly useful for this?

(If you are unaware - I just learned about it today - you essentially eat almost nothing throughout the day and then eat a ton over a four hour period in the evening.)

Post subject: Re: "Warrior Diet"
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:36 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

IIRC the Warrior Diet is a sort of IF, so yes, there are a number studies that have shown an intermittent fasting pattern can have a number of benefits for improving body composition and possibly health.

There are several variation to the basic idea, e.g. 1 day eat 1 day fast, what I do is something that's modeled after the LeanGains version and has elements from other authors (e.g. Lyle McDonald, Mark Sisson) plugged in. I think the LG site (www.leangains.com) has some information and comparisons among the different types of IF programs, it may be worth some searching.

The pattern I'm following is roughtly 16 hours fasting, 8 hours feeding window, that typically start from 8 pm. Sometimes I fast for more, sometimes less. I don't eat a lot of carbohydrates hence I derive most of my energy from fat and proteins, but I do eat vegetables and supplement with a light multi-vitamin product and omega 3.

Only thing that annoys me a little about LeanGains is the author is prepping a book on it and some of the key basic elements haven't been clearly documented as he's basically keeping them to himself for the book. E.g. I know the full program relies on calorie counting but I never found any details about how this should be handled. And while I hate calorie counting I would still be interested to see what I might be missing...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:01 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I started doing leangains a few weeks ago, my strength has gone up on all my lifts and I'm two notches down on my belt despite being heavier.

It's the best diet protocol I've ever followed.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:53 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

BTW are you counting calories Robert?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:44 pm 

mark74 wrote:
BTW are you counting calories Robert?

na, I never do. I'm naturally lean though so my fat loss advice should be taken with a pinch of salt. The only thing I count is grams of protein; I try and get in the region of about 200g a day. I am 5' 11", about 180lbs. I keep dietary stuff fairly simple: fast until after my workout then batter in to a massive shake which has about 50g protein, 60g carbs. An hour or two after training I have a massive meal with loads of protein and a reasonable portion of carbs (like a fist sized sweet potato or serving of brown rice). Then over the course of the evening eat a couple more times, neither of which contain carbs but I probably get about 50g of carbs from the milk I drink. I drink milk between meals.

So I'm hitting 200g of protein, and somewhere in the region of 150g of carbs. I don't count grams of fat but I add quite a bit to whatever I'm cooking.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:07 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Fine, I was asking because I couldn't avoid feeling quite let down when I first learnt the real thing relies on calorie counting (did I already mention how much I hate doing that?). While I suppose this ought to be important for people who have BF the like of Martin's, I still can't help but wonder how much of a difference counting could make.

edit: removed BS

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:25 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Well, looks like I'll give it a go this summer. Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:48 am 

Yornaldo wrote:
Hey mark74.Thanks for the post.I have no any knowledge of this kind of diet but you explain it well and now i understand it.Thanks dear.

No offence to Mark, but if you had no previous knowledge of the subject and now think you understand it from that brief discussion, you are obviously just looking for an opportunity to spam. :spam1:

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley