ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 am 

Eating more carbs at dinner may help with weight loss and cholesterol levels, a study finds.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/la ... 0078.story

This story is really about nutrient timing that works in spite of a high carb diet. The way I calculate the math, the participants would be glycogen depleted for most of the day, similar to Intermittent fasting and then re-feeding once a day. At the same time the kept protein and fat intake normal through the day. I would like to read the original study but the article doesn't give a direct reference, just this "The study was published online recently in the journal Obesity."

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:30 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Interesting, and I'm sure there is something to it. I've just had almost the opposite effects, although it's probably for the same reasons being glycogen depletion and resetting. I've done best with some carbs like oats, barley, quinoa, bulgar (or other TRUE whole grains )combined with some legumes for first meal of the day, and keep it lowered after that. Probably the same reasoning, just different placings.
Tim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think all that shows is, like you say, putting most of the carbs at one meal so you spend a lot of time glycogen depleted works better than spreading it out. They probably would have done better if they did it at breakfast though. Also 1300 to 1500 calories is pretty low, and the study is only 6 months.

So It really looks like all they proved is that having much of your day at low carb, does better than spreading it out, when you eat a high carb diet. I bet if you add a low carb group to that, they'll do even better.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:05 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Yornaldo wrote:
I agree. Eating more carbs in the dinner is effective and good for health.We should eat more carbs at dinner specially those people who want to reduce their weight because carb diet is essential for weight lose.

I agree. Yes, hmmm. Effective and good for health, eating more carbs in the dinner is. Eat more carbs at dinner, we should. Yes, hmmm. Especially, Those people who reduce want to their weight because carb diet is essential for weight lose

(that last sentence was already in Yoda basically)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
"The study was published online recently in the journal Obesity."

I don't know, maybe it's just me being paranoid or I spent too much time with the wrong people, but I think there have been enough published studies with an agenda that IMO generic articles like these should be taken with a big grain of salt; with no explanation of the methodology it seems hard to say anything about the conclusions.

The fact it was published in a journal supposedly about obesity research makes me all the more skeptical. Besides the reading, I had first-hand experience with doctors who "cure" obesity for a living... those people still insist that a calorie-restricted, low-fat, carb-heavy diet is the way to go.

Well if acceptance from your peers is what they want, I guess that's it. But how about those people struggling against hunger and depression trying to shed that weight?

I wonder how many end up having their insides cut and stitched in bizarre ways out of sheer desperation caused by the very same people who's supposed to help them.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:29 am 

Mark--you're being unfair both the the authors and to the journal. The link that Stu provided is only to a news article about the study. The study no doubt provides a detailed description of the methods. Obesity is a legitimate, scientific, peer-reviewed journal. There is no basis for a claim that the research cited was dishonest. The conclusions may in fact, support a lower-carb diet. It's may be showing that eating a carb-restricted diet most of the day, and only allowing carbs in the evening is advantageous for weight loss. Without knowing the total carb intake one can't say. I'm guessing that they would have compared a group with carbs distributed throughout the day with a group eating the same amout of carb, but at supper.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:40 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
There is no basis for a claim that the research cited was dishonest.

I wasn't saying that, merely expressing skepticism. This was the key point:

Quote:
IMO generic articles like these should be taken with a big grain of salt; with no explanation of the methodology it seems hard to say anything about the conclusions

I'm sure methodology is documented in the study. As for state of obesity research, I do remember Dr Bray's reply to Taubes (according to Dr Eades: "George Bray, M.D. is probably the most renowned figure in the field of obesity research today"), hence my skepticism.

Add to that, a person that is dear to me is obese and undergoing conventional treatment; I've seen some of the pain and discomfort a relatively simple and reversible thing such like an intragastric balloon can produce, and the mere thought of full bariatric surgery make me shudder.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:12 am 

mark74 wrote:
I'm sure methodology is documented in the study. ....

That's why I was asking if anyone has ever found a link to the actual study. It's probably quite interesting, even if this story missed the boat.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 am 

Update: Brad Schoenfeld wrote an article about this study and actually gave references.

http://workout911.com/?p=2917

The original study is here (although not the fulltext):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I looked up the study in my uni library, we have access apparently.

Quote:
[...]The experimental group was prescribed a standard low-calorie diet (20% protein, 30–35% fat, 45–50% carbohydrates, 1,300–1,500 kcal) providing carbohydrates mostly at dinner, whereas the control group received a standard low-calorie diet (20% protein, 30–35% fat, 45–50% carbohydrates, 1,300–1,500 kcal), providing carbohydrates throughout the day (Table 1). [...]

There is also a table which lists their exact diet which i can post if someone wants it, not sure if i can link it here.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm 

Marnix, I would be interested in that table if it's not too much trouble.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Think this should work. No trouble at all Stu, more concerned about copyrights and stuff but i guess its ok.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:54 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:06 am 
former lurker

I have always thought that eating more, especially carbs at dinner is not advisable that's why i only eat more carbs during breakfast. hmmmm.... :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:36 am 

Well, you just got into an older thread. What they were discussing was an article on carb backloading, something being looked at. Basically, your thought's of doing carbs early on, when they're depleted, and limiting them after is pretty much accepted for those following a lowered carb lifestyle.
Tim