ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:43 am 
I am trying to find the RM of my male and female competitive gymnasts in an attempt to individualize their conditioning within the periodization training I already apply to their training program.

Until recently, I have had to do some guesswork on their RM and mostly condition them all (per level) as a group focusing on the group's weaknesses. They all do the same set amount of sets and reps.

I periodically test all of my gymnasts to note strength and flexibilty gains and losses, as well as assess the groups weaknesses...

However, I have noticed, not only in my program, but in many gymnastics programs around the nation that this way of conditioning does not benefit all of the gymnasts.

For example, my smaller compact athletes seem to gain strength to no end, while my taller, lengthier athletes seem to fall behind. The gap gets bigger as they progress through the levels.

I have come to the conclusion that individualized conditioning regimens could reduce, if not eliminate this phenomena.

What is the best testing procedure to finding their RM and when is the best time to reassess their RM?

As most gymnastics (especially women's gymnastics) exercise is primarily done with one's own body weight and not with free weights, how do I find their RM for specific muscle groups and how do I apply this to their specific exercises?

HELP!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:29 pm 
I'm glad you have finally realized that not all athletes are created equal and that individualized programs will benefit your team the most. What it seems that you are running into is that your shorter gymnasts have short appendages, thus when moving weight they do not have to move the load as far as your gymnasts with longer arms/legs (kind of like the difference between a bench press and a board press). The cookie cutter program you were using I am sure did not address this issue.

As far as finding an athletes RM, there are several to chose from, generally the higher rep maxes are safer for the athletes body, but these may not be as accurate as a true 1 rep max. You can use one of the hundreds of 1 rep max calculators on the internet to make an educated guess based on a 3 or 6 rep max score.

A rep max is simply the maximal load an athlete can move for a pre-determined amount of reps (generally 1 or 3).

To find these number have the athlete perform a warmup. I personally prefer several low-rep warm up sets. Lets say your average athlete will max at thier bodyweight in the bench press, in this case 185.

I have would have the athlete perform a warmup as follows:

95 lbs x 5, rest 1.5 minutes
135 lbs x 3, rest 1.75 minutes
150 lbs x 1, rest 2 minutes
175 lbs x 1, rest 3-5 minutes
The athlete would then have 5 attempts to acheive or surpass 185 lbs mark.

This is just an example but you should get the idea.

Post subject: tuener
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:46 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]