- 2003-2005: I am a runner, BW is 68-69 kg. Like most runners I get injured and don't ever recover completely.
- 2006-2010: my lifestyle turns to sedentary. I'm not doing much sport either. In 2009 my left knee is injured in a home accident.
- January 2010: I'm 35 yo, BW at an all-time high of 86-87 kg. My left knee is useless: just looking at it makes it swell.
- May 2010: BW down to 85 kg. Pick up lifting again with a full-body program of my own design. BW drops to 84 kg.
- June 2010: I need to strengthen my legs to get my knee back, so I get a bench with a leg curl/extension attachment. I discover low carbing, my BW takes a dive to 80.5 kg.
- July 2010: work on posture and begin some light squatting. BW: 78.5 kg
- August 2010: halfway through the month, switch to StrongLifts 5x5. I've been already doing all of the SL lifts by myself, so I start off at Sq:36 kg - BP:34 kg - OHP:26 kg - DL:39 kg. BW: 76 kg, BF: 23-24%.
- September 2010: I keep dieting as hard as I can and even start IF, but I only manage to reach 74.5 kg, then I'm overwhelmed by an irresistible hunger. BF: ~22%.
- October 2010, BW stable, BF: 20%.
- November 2010: on 11/17 a small injury to my left quad keeps me from squatting for 3 weeks. Sq:62 kg - BP:42 kg - OHP:34 kg - DL:80 kg. BW: 75.5 kg, frustrated with the lack of progress on the presses so try GOMAD.
- December 2010: before Xmas: Sq:70 kg - BP:deload - OHP:deload - DL:86 kg. BW: 76.8 kg, BF: 23%.
- January 2011: back from 1/17. BW up to 77.5 kg.
- February 2011: making progress again. Sq:68 kg - DL:92 kg. Still deloading and getting stuck on the presses. BW is 78 kg.
- March 2011: Sq:85 kg - BP: 45 kg - OHP:37 kg - DL:101 kg. BW up to 80 kg
- April 2011: PRs are set. Sq:93 kg - BP:46 kg - DL:106 kg. My left shoulder is injured for good. BW peaks at 82 kg, BF: 25%
- May 2011: back to training, I haven't eaten properly, some strength lost. BW goes down to 79.5 kg, BF: 24%.
- June 2011: On a caloric restriction to lose fat for a wedding, my weight goes down to 76.5 kg. BF: 22%
- July 2011: Switched to 5/3/1, BW stable, BF: 20%
So today it was (all weights in pounds)
Squat; 44x5x2 + 110x5 + 132 (5x5).
During the first three sets of the 5x5 I had some small fit in the muscles right above the knees, that disappeared in the last two. Took plenty of recovery between sets, was not completely happy with the form, I have a tendency to shift the weight towards the forefoot while coming up.
Press; 70 (5x5) with no warm up.
Missed the last rep of the last set, quite surprised by this, maybe I cut recovery too short. I'm planning to do some pressing on my rest days to get the weight up a bit faster (the so called "greasing the groove" strategy), also I've been pressing a bit last week.
Deadlift; 115x5 + 159x5 + 181x5 + 203x5
All without a belt (I only use one when I feel my form is deteriorating). As usual the DL is less of a hassle than the squat and got much closer to my PB. The last two reps however were a bit "slow". I might be going for a better 203 the next time as well.
After that I put on some racing flats and went running in the woods. I was planning to do 20 minutes but stopped the clock at 30'56" as I took a different route to get back home. For most of the time my left knee was hurting a bit, and also my right shinbone every time the foot would hit the ground. Kept a fairly regular pace but on the way back I tried some, uhm, let's call them accelerations
All in all, 4 km @ an average HR of 144, max pace 4:27.Click here if you want to leave a comment