ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:02 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

You're welcome. From a quick review those links don't seem to have as much as I remembered about insulin. Since McDonald has a peculiar writing style I probably bookmarked only the articles that had the most readily applicable information. His articles usually contain a lot of internal links which makes your reading list explode, but as a side benefit if you keep rummaging long enough you can dig out other interesting material you wouldn't have thought of looking for in the first place.

BTW some cheating can go a long way, and having delightful people around us can only make that better. Actually, there would be something wrong if you weren't happy! good night

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:36 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I don't mean to derail your discussion, but I came across this video a couple of days ago:

Quote:
Sugar: The Bitter Truth
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

It's a long one, but I definitely thought it was very interesting and very convincing. Since your discussion involves the cause of obesity, I thought I'd just throw this out there. I'd be interested to hear your opinions on this.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:07 am 

Dr. Lustig makes some good points but he does tend to get a little a little one sided in his views. That reduces the credibility of what he's saying which is unfortunate as he gets labeled an alarmist. http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/2 ... -alarmism/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:40 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

BTW.

http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm

In this list meat is shown to be as insulinogenic as carbohydrates. The usual counter is that consumption of meat also raises glucagon. To which Berkhan replies:

Quote:
Don't bring up glucagon, as it's not really lipolytic in humans (activates hepatic glycogen phosphorylase), and it's already been stated that apparently counterregulatory hormones won't matter in the face of insulin anyway.