ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Heat Stress Acclimation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:27 pm 

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/heataccl/heataccl.html

Someone help me out here. I was doing some research on heat stress acclimation for work and ran across this article. The article makes this statement:

The primary benefit of heat acclimatization is improved tolerance of exercise in the heat, evident as a reduction of the incidence or severity of symptoms of heat illness, and increased work output concurrent with reduced cardiovascular, thermal, and metabolic strain.

Do these benefits correspond only during exercise or are there improvements outside of the exercise period?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:31 am 

I'm not sure I understand the question. Improvement of WHAT outside the exercise period? Ability to tolerate heat? As indicated how?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 pm 

I'm not sure how to ask the question, Doc. If you look at the study is says as I understand it, as you acclimitze to heat, you have reduced cardiovascular strain. In other words, you are exposed to heat, your system speeds up. As you acclimatize, you system doesn't need to speed up as much. The question is does this benefit you all around - reduces your cardiovascular strain 24/7? Or is there only a measurable reduction in strain during the time you are exposed to heat stress?

I guess to put it practically, do you do more for your heart if you train in the heat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:53 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

sounds similar to the concept of training in high altitude.
The counter argument being that you cant exert yourself as much, so the benefits which should carry over to normal altitude are mitigated by the fact you could not go as hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 am 

hoosegow wrote:
I'm not sure how to ask the question, Doc. If you look at the study is says as I understand it, as you acclimitze to heat, you have reduced cardiovascular strain. In other words, you are exposed to heat, your system speeds up. As you acclimatize, you system doesn't need to speed up as much. The question is does this benefit you all around - reduces your cardiovascular strain 24/7? Or is there only a measurable reduction in strain during the time you are exposed to heat stress?

I guess to put it practically, do you do more for your heart if you train in the heat.
I doubt it. I just think that as you continue to train in the heat, the head doesn't bother you as much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:32 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm usually in a 85 - 95 degree k-word (even during winter) for about 8 - 12 hours a day in full uniform, (slacks, t-shirt underneath, shirt on top, & apron) and I tell you... it still sucks when I'm at home in 75 degree conditions sweating it out when exercising.

I don't think I'll ever get used to the heat!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]