ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:57 am 
Novice
Novice

You shouldn't have to dump the registrations. Enabling visual confirmation in addition to making people activate their own accounts via email should keep out the new robot spammers. Those two changes won't affect people who have already registered, though. So the spammers who are already here will have to be eliminated one at a time when they pop up. But once they're gone, they're gone for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:28 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Drew, a quick question for you. My configuration panel is different than yours visually, but pretty much the same info. I do have the account activation choices, and do have an enable for the visuals in approximately the same place. However, the only way I can figure out how to get registered users off the list is to go into the User Admin and disallow names, and with over 4000 it would take a while. Do you know of any fast way to dump the data base of users, so I can start fresh with the correct enables selected? In other words, I would select either user or admin activation (currently "none"), and select visual confirmation (currently off). TIA
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

I don't know how to dump the entire database of users without deleting every account individually. To do that, click on "User List" in the admin panel. For me it's the bottom option in the menu on the lefthand side as seen here.

My default is 20 users per screen, but that can be increased (change the box with the "20" in it to whatever you want). I don't know how high it can go, though.

You should be able to check the box next to each user you want to delete. At the bottom of the screen you can choose "delete" from the pulldown menu.

I'm not sure how to get rid of large groups of people in one fell swoop, though. This way is certainly easier than disallowing names, but it's still tedious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

Something else you might want to try is setting up your own board. There are domains out there like armbell.com that allow you to set up your own phpbb boards for free. You could use the features of the software to become more familiar with it while not risking damage to this board.

I did that so that I could try out some of the features on the software without doing something irreversible to my actual message board. I played around with things like creating and deleting accounts. It helps to work the bugs out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:45 pm 

Drew, that seems to be my problem. If could check boxes and i might give it a shot, but my configuration seems to be that I have to call each user up individually from user admin. The only listing of users I can get to is passive only from the index. How did you get to the useising in admin from your software? Looks like that maybe one of the upgrades you got in youur version. TIA
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

The version I'm using is phpBB 2.0.21. You can see it in the lower lefthand corner of one of the images. Because I use a free hosting service, I get their upgrades. So that's what they have currently.

At the bottom of my screen, between the "New posts" icon and the words "powered by..." is a link that reads "Go To Administration Panel." From there, I end up at the basic screen in the post above. I'm not too familiar with the software beyond the version I have. You might have some luck looking here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/. It's a phpBB forum. Someone there might know your version and its capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:49 pm 

Many thanks Drew. I'll jump on that forum right now. James and i have been dealing with that problem for a while, about not being able to call up an active list of users, that we can manipulate. It's a total pain in the a** calling them up individually to delete them out. Thanks again.
Tim