ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:22 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 pm 

How fast are you going on the HICT step-ups?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Jungledoc wrote:
How fast are you going on the HICT step-ups?

Hard to say. Probably around 20 steps a minute, counting both feet seperately. As long as my heart rate stays in the range, I don't worry about speed except to keep up a steady pace. I start out fast, though - as fast as I can step up and down without winding myself - so I can get my heart rate up to the zone.

High intensity continuous training is pretty brutal. You need music or someone talking to you, IME, or you'll go nuts when you realize it's only been like 2 minutes and you have 8 more to go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:28 pm 

And where do you keep your HR?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 am 

I have a heart rate monitor, and I keep it between 160-170. I try to get it up into the high 150s ASAP and then let it naturally get a little higher as fatigue builds up.

HICT, HRI (high resistance intervals), and the circuits with my heart rate as the determiner of the rest period - these are all from Joel Jamieson (from 8weeksout). Pretty much every time I'm doing one of these, I'll turn to John and say, "F***ing Joel Jamieson" and he'll anwer by rote - "He's such a ****." Heh. But it works, and it addresses a hole in my conditioning that we just didn't see before, and it translates very well to my endurance and power-endurance and strength-endurance on the mat. Even when I get tired now, I recovery very quickly!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:37 am 

So you go slow enough to keep in under 170, then for rests, rest until it's below 160 and hit the next set?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:37 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
So you go slow enough to keep in under 170, then for rests, rest until it's below 160 and hit the next set?

The protocol, at least for me, is this:

- go for 10-20 minutes at a heart rate of 160-170.
- rest for 5-10 minutes, or until heart rate drops down to >130, whichever is longer. Active rest (ab work, shadow boxing, walking, etc.) is recommended.
- go for another 10-20 minutes at a heart rate of 160-170

The exercise is hard enough to require some real muscular strength (high step ups for me, but walking lunges up a hill, a versaclimber on max, a spin bike on max, etc. are others I've heard of) but it's also aerobically challenging. The idea is to get your muscles more efficient at working at that strength/intensity level.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:38 am 

pdellorto wrote:
Bounding - bound from one leg to the next, stick the landing, and immediately bound to the next leg. Clear across the gym. Thinking about it, this is the kind of thing people worry about doing because they'll look silly. I felt great doing it, though - very explosive.

Does anything look silly at DeFranco's?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:19 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Does anything look silly at DeFranco's?

Sure it does. Just no one says so, because they know it must be awful but effective. You don't want to tempt fate and have someone tell you to do it. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:58 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Peter, just read your write up on Planet Fitness and couldn't agree more. I feel like these sort of chains actually hurt people more than they help. I'd be interested to see their member retention rates. I'm sure it's pretty low. Renting equipment to people (gym memberships) isn't helpful unless you have guidence on how to incorperate it into your program. I think the last IHRSA stats I saw said that most people drop out of their fitness program in the first six weeks. The reason for this was that they didn't get the results they wanted and didn't get the help they needed. If the owner of PF thinks that personal training isn't nessicary, then I question whether or not he's actually belonged to/worked at a gym.

Sorry, the reason I'm writing this on here is that blogger wouldn't let me post it on your blog for some reason. Feel free to copy and paste it over there if you want.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:10 pm 

Thanks Jason. You probably couldn't post because of the blogger outage. I'll post up a copy of that if you don't beat me to it.

Thanks for reading and commenting (or trying to, either way!). I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 am 

Peter, that was quite a workout on Monday. I have a question about using the heartrate monitor. Do you track the speed of your recovery? I know some high tech monitors can dump data to your computer and you could analyze it to death but I'm just thinking about simply timing the drop to 130. I think it would give an idea of improvement to your aerobic performance. I don't own a monitor but I'm toying with the idea of getting one.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm 

Stu - I don't track the speed of my recovery between rounds. I probably should, but my heart rate monitor is the low-end model that just does current heart rate. My next one will definitely be one that accumulates data and lets me analyze it later, but for now I only track my recovery immediately after the workout.

I'm sure not looking forward to next Monday - I've got 4 rounds of that circuit to do. Even if I drop the reps to the minimum (6 of each, per round), the added trips on the sled drag will hammer me. That should be very hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 pm 

i hope your competition goes well! it seems inappropriate to hope you break (someone elses) a leg, because that's actually possible, so go well instead!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:38 pm 

Good luck, Petie.

Maybe a little anger will help?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next