ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think I have what is known as Protracted Shoulder Girdle.

My shoulders are always pulled foward, making it look like I'm hunching over.

I've heard this is caused by weak rhomboids.

I've seen the site: http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Posture.html, and would like to know if I should do these stretches everyday. If so, how long for each stretch?

To help fix up my posture, I recently changed my BB Rowing form by contracting my shoulder blades together before pulling the bar up.

What other things can I do to fix up my posture?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:57 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I like the seated row, but using a straight back to minimize the lower back involvement. Concentrate on squeezing the shoulder blades together; use as light a weight as you need to to form this movement.

Another one is to get into the lat pulldown position, with a lighter weight. Rather than pulling down to work your lats, squeeze your shoulder blades together and move the bar towards you. This is a very small movement.

Before you do any exercise, try to 'set' your shoulder girdle. That is roll your shoulders back and set them in a firm proper position. I try to do this several times a day, whenever I find myself hunching over.

The thing I found that helped my posture in general the most was yoga.

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:30 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Northernbelle is right on with her recommendations. However, I would like to add a different approach. Do what she said on a few days, and on different days, use some shoulder elevation, like snatches, It really involves getting the upper back muscles back and up, which should really help posture. A complex I use all the time is simple, 6 reps each, nonstop or upright row, muscle snatch from below the knee, thruster (squat push press combo), bent row, and clean, all with DB'sThis combination really works the posterior chain and upper back quite hard, and should improve your posture.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

THanks for the advice. Considering both replies, I plan to correct my posture by following a program with only:

- Olympic Lifts (barbells only)
- Bent-over Rows
- Chin-ups/Pull-ups (various grips).
(the only pushing exercise I may do are push-ups, hindu push-ups).

What rep-range should I use for the exericses? - keeping in mind that I am doing this for posture, not size or strength. Once my posture improves, I will being strength/size training once again.

I was just wondering what you guys thing about this.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Working for size will help posture in this case. You have to build your back to be even with your chest. Anywhere in the 6 to 12 range would be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks

Should each set be done to failure? (6-12 reps)

or should I ramp up the weights until the last few sets are to failiure? (sort of like 5x5).

Perhaps, I should follow the 5x5 program, but replace some exercises with oly lifts and emphasize more back-work..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:23 pm 

Bill Starr's 5x5 had Oly lifts in it. The basic program used power cleans, but in his more advanced stuff he used overhead presses/pushpresses, power shrugs on a heavy day, clean grip hi pulls on a medium day, and either power cleans or power snatches on a light day for pulling.
Tim