ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:35 am 
n00b
n00b

What is difference between chin-up and pull-up?
And what is low intensity interval training?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am 

Pullups are normally reffering to your hands being in a pronated position whereas chinups your hands are in a supinated position. Check them out in the muscle exercise directory for form and muscles involved etc. I'm guessing low interval training is just like normal interval training where you're running at different speeds systematically. e.g. walk 30 secs, jog 1 min, can't be too different to HIIT except the high intensity part!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:27 am 
n00b
n00b

Both chin-up and pull-up using overhand grip (pronated) (in muscle directory). And where are the difference, after all here must be a difference because there two difference names for this exercises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:40 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

There are several of both kinds in the directory. Usually people mean underhanded if they just say 'chin up'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:23 am 
n00b
n00b

In pull-up description: "Pull body up until neck reaches height of hands."
How to understand "until neck reaches height of hands"? Need reach "neck begin" (chin) or "neck end"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:18 am 

High enough so you can get your chin easily over the bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

I wish they would standardize this some how.

who are the exrx.net gods that can settle this for everyone.

When I think of pull-ups I think of a overhand grip
chin-ups as a underhaned grip.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:15 pm 

I doubt it will ever be settled! One would also have to standardize the bottom of the movement, and any good definition would leave out 3/4 or the people I see doing any chinning movement in the gyms. For the top end, many people who write blogs, etc., talk about bar to sternum. I can't do that even once, even when my body weight is down and when I'm fresh doing my first rep. I can touch my clavicles to the bar for most of my reps.

I think most of the folk here would agree with your definition of chin-up and pull-up, although I often use "chinning movement" or something similar to refer in a general way to both, and to include neutral and various degrees of oblique grips.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 pm 

Hey, Extremist--have you ever posted here about what sort of training routine you follow?

(For those of you who don't know, this is the holder of the world record for weighted pull-ups. See http://newsok.com/world-record-uplifting-for-edmond-man/article/3566271)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 am 

Considering your accomplishments I'm going with this definition....
Extremistpullup wrote:
When I think of pull-ups I think of a overhand grip
chin-ups as a underhaned grip.
[sic]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:52 am 

i rarely support extremists but in this case i'll make an exception. i'll 2nd for pull is overhand, chin is underhand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:02 am 
Novice
Novice

I wasn't even aware there was confusion about which is which! I just took it as accepted fact that chin is palms facing pull is palms away!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 am 

Some people get confused.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:34 pm 
Necromancer
Necromancer

Nevage wrote:
Pullups are normally reffering to your hands being in a pronated position whereas chinups your hands are in a supinated position. Check them out in the muscle exercise directory for form and muscles involved etc.
If you check out the ExRx directory, this is not at all how they are defined.

Chin http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Lat ... hinup.html
Pull http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Lat ... ullup.html

Both use pronated grips.

I personally do not like this chin=sup and pull=pro classification. They should all be called pull ups (since they all involve us pulling ourself up) and chin should be if the chin's over the bar. Supinated's usually the easiest way to get the chin over the bar, yeah, but a lot of people don't manage to do that, and many manage to do it with prone, so we should call it sup-up or pro-up to describe pull ups using specific grips. Neut-up or hammer-up for the palms-facing-each-other kind.

I'd really like to understand how ExRx distinguishes between chins and pulls though, because looking at the animations they use, they seem incredibly similar:
ImageImage

Acme wrote:
In pull-up description: "Pull body up until neck reaches height of hands." How to understand "until neck reaches height of hands"? Need reach "neck begin" (chin) or "neck end"?
Honestly, I call these neck-ups. Chin-up should just mean touching the chin to the bottom of the bar. Reason being, we call the fullest RoM a sternum-up or chest-up but clearly that's only touching the bottom, not the top.

robt-aus wrote:
i rarely support extremists but in this case i'll make an exception. i'll 2nd for pull is overhand, chin is underhand.
I oppose, naming something "chin" based on forearm rotation is not logical etymology.

I know this book I reviewed here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8000 calls it a 'chin up' with a prone grip and a "reverse chin up" when using a supine grip.

People like to try and pretend there is consensus, but there isn't, and this shouldn't be something we decide democratically either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:10 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Preach!

All I know is, I shall refuse to do them anymore until there is a more clear, uniformally agreed upon, official definition.

I just hate getting stronger on the one hand
But on the other hand, if there is no consensus on the exercise, what's the use.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next