ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bridge Exercise
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:20 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi,

I do both planks and bridges as part of my core routine. When I do bridges, I have always held the position (e.g. 2 minutes), instead of going up and down (e.g. x sets of y reps).

i am wondering which is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 pm 

The way you do it makes more sense to me. Of course, you don't have to do your whole time at once, but can do several "sets" of so many minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:55 pm 
n00b
n00b

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for your input.

Post subject: bridges
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:46 pm 
n00b
n00b

If you can hold a bridge for 2 minutes, you will get more value from switching to a more challenging version of the exercise. While static holds have a place in some training repertoires, most people have little need for the effects of a 2:00 bridge. Unless you have been advised by a pt or have physical issues which require you to use this version, I'd suggest changing your bridge form.
Options you might consider: one leg straight/opp leg bent, marching bridges, one straight/one bent while abducting (or using other movement while holding bridge form, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 am 
n00b
n00b

Thank you for your advice.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Bridge Exercise
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 am 
Necromancer
Necromancer

gwinegarden wrote:
When I do bridges, I have always held the position (e.g. 2 minutes), instead of going up and down (e.g. x sets of y reps). i am wondering which is better.
It's the old isometric vs. dynamic argument. I'd say start with dynamic and end with isometric hold for time after reaching desired reps.

Does adding weight to bridges work? I hear of people holding bridges with people sitting on them and the like and I wish I knew how it targets the muscles, but as is, the way muscles work the move or stabilize us in bridging and planking is still very confusing to imagine. I wish there were more analogies and analyses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

All phases of muscle contraction are important. If you want to be plank strong, then be plank stable first. Bump up the propriocetive load, then go for endurance again, then start 4/2/1 eccentric/isometric/concentric, and progress the variables, then to 2/0/2, then power. Don't forget the numerous ways to hold planks, and bridges, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 am 
n00b
n00b

The bridge exercise is a great way to isolate and strengthen the gluteus muscles and hamstrings. If you do this exercise correctly, you also will find that it is a good core strengthening exercise that strengthens both the abdominal muscles as well as the lower back muscles. Finally, the bridge exercise is considered a basic rehab exercise to improve core and spinal stabilization.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:02 am 
n00b
n00b

The Bridge is an excellent Pilates torso stability exercise. This means that one of your goals is to keep your torso really still during the exercise. This exercise strengthens the butt and the back of the legs and teaches core stability. Physical therapists the world over use the Bridge because it’s a safe exercise for those with a weak or injured back.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]