ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eating Fat
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

How do people approach fat in their diets?

Do you just try an avoid it as much as possible or if you do actively incorperate into your diet what sources do you try and get it from?

For example does the fat content in something like cheese outweight the benefits it may have in terms of protein\calcium etc?

Post subject: Re: Eating Fat
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:03 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Fat in general is good for you, the only case where its amount should be kept under control is when you're eating carbohydrates along with it. Of course, if you need to keep your caloric intake under strict control, fat might need to be limited.

There are some fats that are not good for you, i.e. trans-fats, hydrogenated fats and other man engineered fat products. I generally use extravirgin olive oil to cook and no butter but that's mostly because I never learnt to use butter properly, and I find EVOO very convenient to use.

On raw foods (i.e. salads) I occasionally use soy oil but I've got mixed feelings about it and I don't like the flavor very much.

As for cheese, my position is - as long as it's not processed and you like it, it's good. I won't be making a list since I have my idiosyncrasies and also because I don't live in the States it wouldn't probably be very useful.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:05 pm 

We have a sticky on fat but it's a little out of date: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4137

Since then we've learned more about fat. It seems that most of the negatives associated with fats have to do with oxidization, or rancidity. Oxidization causes free radicals which cause cancer. Different types of fats have an operating range of temperatures that they're stable at. The plants and animals that contain the fats need them to be liquid at their operating temperatures but not prone to oxidization. that's why animals and tropical plants have fat that's hard at room temperature but liquid at body temperature. Similarly, cold water fish have fats that are liquid at low temperatures. Your body needs mostly the hard fats since these are least prone to oxidization.

The types of fats to be most wary of are fats that require heat in order to extract them. Oils from seeds, for example, need to heated and treated with chemicals in order to be used. This heat, causes oxidization of the delicate polyunsaturated fats they contain. On the other hand, olive oil is cold extracted. The mono-unsaturated fats they contain are also more stable since olives grow in a warmer climate. Most stable are the tropical oils found in coconuts and palms as well as warm blooded animals. These also don't require heat for extraction. These are also the most stable. This is why margarine has to be kept in the fridge but butter, olive and coconut oil can be kept out.

Saturated and mono-unsaturated fats can be consumed in any amount but you want to restrict your poly unsaturated fats to the essential amount required by the body. This is actually a very small amount, about 3-4% of calories in total. About half should be omega 3 and half omega 6. Your total fat intake needs to be at least 30% but can be as high as 80% of your calories.

Fats are your body's preferred source of energy.

Artificial fats of any type are unhealthy.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:00 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I make it a central part of my diet. My usual aim is for 1/3 of my fat grams to be saturated, 1/3 polyunsaturated, and 1/3 monounsaturated. I totally avoid any trans fats, and any ingredients that involve them (even if the label amount is 0, if it includes partially hyrdrogenated oils, it has some >0 quantity of trans fats.)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks everyone,

I started training to lose weight and therefore very much got into the mindset of avoiding fat entirely. Now I'm 3 stone lighter I'm trying to move more towards general fitness with a bias towards lifting weight, however I've struggled to get my nutrition thinking out of weight loss mode and am trying to rethink things.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:33 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

cook eggs in EV Coconut Oil

thank me later.

put a big piece of Chuck Roast in Crockpot and cook for 10 hours
dont trim fat

add some fresh herbs, salt, some water. Maybe a few carrots, onion, celeryt, Garlic...

thank me twice.

And omg, Chicken in a slow cooker. I used the think crispy skin is where it's at. Well, melt in your mouth chicken skin is scrumptous

ps I'm glad Stu never gets tired of answering these questions. Reminds me of my old poker forum days.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:32 am 

mark74 wrote:
...the only case where its amount should be kept under control is when you're eating carbohydrates along with it....

Why? I've never heard this advice before. Please elaborate.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:42 am 

bjwuk, read this article from T-Nation about insulin sensitivity. You can loose weight if you increase it, and there is something about fats.
You should increase your intake of Omega 3, the best way to get Omega 3 is from flax seed.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:57 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
mark74 wrote:
...the only case where its amount should be kept under control is when you're eating carbohydrates along with it....

Carbs increase insulin which encourages fat storage. Too much of both = body fat increase. The real answer of course is to control the carbs, which makes over all calorie control easier as well. However many studies assume a baseline intake of carbs which are rich in "heart healthy" whole grains, and then dicker around with moderate fat levels confounding anything they come up with.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:57 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Stefan 93 wrote:
the best way to get Omega 3 is from flax seed.

Hmm, not sure about that. There were some conflicting statements about how flax seed could promote (or protect from) prostate cancer. This appears to be linked to testosterone levels.

I haven't saved the links, so these are about the best ones I could find right now:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-pro ... ncer-risk/
http://www.raysahelian.com/flaxseed.html

Hoping for someone to provide better insight to this.

edit: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/ ... 272001.htm

PS:

stuward wrote:
The real answer of course is to control the carbs, which makes over all calorie control easier as well.

I was under the assumption one would eat carbs mostly after training (i.e. carbs are already under control), so fat intake might need to be adjusted/reduced as a consequence of that.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:22 am 

stuward wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
mark74 wrote:

Carbs increase insulin which encourages fat storage. Too much of both = body fat increase. The real answer of course is to control the carbs, which makes over all calorie control easier as well. However many studies assume a baseline intake of carbs which are rich in "heart healthy" whole grains, and then dicker around with moderate fat levels confounding anything they come up with.

Well, it sounded like he was concerned with eating at the same meal, and saying that you should reduce fats if you are eating the fats with carbs. I say, just reduce the carbs.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:50 am 

He's talking about post workout. Fat will slow the uptake of the protein and carbs so in that case it would make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

[quote="Stefan 93"]
You should increase your intake of Omega 3, the best way to get Omega 3 is from flax seed.[/quote]

Flaxseed oil is mostly ALA, and humans have a limited capacity for conversion into EPA and DHA.
Fish oil is a better source for Omega 3s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:28 am 
n00b
n00b

Metabolic syndrome is characterized by abdominal obesity, high triglycerides, insulin resistance and other heart disease risk factors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:29 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

please go ahead and ban yourself already, you walking wikipedia