ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:07 am 

Because of this strained neck, I have to change my routine to something less intense and less demand on my neck and my traps. So there will be no deadlifts and shoulder presses. I haven't decide what to do yet, probably a traditional pyramid bodybuilding routine with less weight just to get the pump. Maybe it's an opportunity to try something new. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:43 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Hey,

I could single out many of the other experienced lifters, too, but will pick on you. But seriously, how do you get this all in in 45 minutes?

I ask because I take much longer to do considerably less. And I've heard too long is bad, (cortisol) but surely my intensity is spread out enough. Are you changing you own weights? Seems you have very little rest with all the sets. Maybe I just need someone to "watch me" and see where all the time goes. It's inspiring though to see that it can be done in much less time.

Would you say you're able to get more work in less time now, than say, when you were early in your training days? (assuming intensity was relatively the same) Feel free to share any insight.

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=67603#67603

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 am 

Hello there,

I workout at home so I don't have to wait for equipments and everything is already set up; these save my time a lot. Also, it's not that much volume as you think, as you can see that half of the big lifts sets are just warm-up sets.
I used to time the rest between sets but I don't do that anymore. Now, I just rest until I feel ok, usually around 1.5-3min. The bigger the exercise, the longer the rest.

Quote:
Would you say you're able to get more work in less time now, than say, when you were early in your training days? (assuming intensity was relatively the same)
If you mean more volume, yes. I think could do more volume but not more intensity in less time. I still have to rest at least 2-3min after heavy squats.

If you doubt yourself, just follow any practical program then use a watch or ipod and time your rest according to the program. Each workout should not be longer than 60min in those programs because they are well designed. After a while, you'll know your capacity i.e. know the amount of volume and intensity you are able to do in one session. Then you could adjust anything you want (trial and error) to find what works best for you.

Hope that helps. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Johnny wrote:
Hello there,

If you doubt yourself, just follow any practical program then use a watch or ipod and time your rest according to the program. Each workout should not be longer than 60min in those programs because they are well designed. After a while, you'll know your capacity i.e. know the amount of volume and intensity you are able to do in one session. Then you could adjust anything you want (trial and error) to find what works best for you.

Hope that helps. :)

I appreciate you taking the time. I've modeled a program that I really like after much advice in here, and looking at SS 3x5 and StrongLifts 5x5. - but adding some more accessory work. For example, this morning, I did

Warm Up
7 min treadmill
2 x 50 Jumping Jax
1 x 10, 62 lb Good Morning

Main Lifts

DeadLift, WarmUps, 1x9, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2
Working Set 1 x 6

Shrugs (no warm up needed)
Working Set 2 x 10

Bench Press,
Rotator cable work and pec stretches
WarmUps, 1x9, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2
Working Set 3 x 6

Assisted Pull Ups, WarmUps, 3 x 10, Band pull downs
Working Set 2 x 6 + 1 Max

Cable Face Pulls (no warm up needed)
Working Set 2 x 10

TGU w/ BackPack
6 each side

That took me close to 2 hours.

Without TGUs and the initial warmup, maybe 100 minutes.

I dont feel exhausted. But it doesn't seem like I'm taking too much rest between sets. I do change my own weights, as I have a home gym as well. Basically no rest during warm up.

The idea to time myself makes sense. At least it will show the obvious time management issues. Or, it will cause me to subconscienly speed up and reveal capacity limits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 am 

Deadlifts and bench presses could take around 20 and 15 respectively, and the rest could easily fit in 30. I don't see how your workout could take longer than 75.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:40 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

thank you for input
I'll get on top of this. Now that set up time is quicker and I'm used to changing weights and all those other super newb time wasters are gone, there really is no reason to have it go so long, as you say.

good day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm 

You are making some damn good progress man. Keep it up.

How tall are you? You seem to have the same issue with pressing I do...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 am 

I'm 173cm manlet.

About pressing, I'm thinking about go back to BB Bench Press; just try to mix things up.