ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too much variation?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

I know that mixing up your exercises is good, but I'm wondering if I'm incorporating too much variation in my workouts to see and feel optimum results. For example, I perform chins or pull-ups in my workouts every Monday and Friday, using a different variation Monday than Friday. Right now, Monday is wide grip pull-ups and Friday is close grip chin-ups. Next month I'll do V-Bar pullups on Monday and wide grip chins on Friday.

Would it be more beneficial for me to do one and only one variation every Monday and Friday for a month, then switch to another variation the following month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:56 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

What are your goals? Are you specializing in any lifts? If so, variation is not a good idea. If you are into just general physical preparedness, well then, variation is key. Variation allows you to adapt to various stimulii. I don't even think variation would hurt even if you were specializing in bodybuilding, as long as you kept your core exercises in the same vein' i.e. Chest, Incline DB's one day, BB flat BP the next session Now, if you are into PL or OL, then variation with the assistance moves is a good thing, depending on what you need, but you would still have to focus on the major lifs. Personally, I'm 57 these days, don't focus on OL more than once a year, so the bulk of my training is varied and based on GPP. I don't think I';ve done the same workout per se in any given session more than once. If your goals are similar to mine, then fine, no reason for no variation. if you are tying to excel in a specific lift/exercise, then focus on it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:27 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks TimD,

You're right - I should have mentioned what my goals are. I didn't want to post one of those unnecesarily long-winded questions, but I suppose that info would have helped.

I'm definitely into this for general health and bodybuilding purposes. Not at all into competitions, etc. Specifically, I'd like to see a bit more hypertrophy, so it sounds like varying my exercises is a good thing. And I've been doing variations of the big 5 (deads, squats, rows, presses, militaries, and pull-ups if you consider those the 6th biggie) with very few isolation exercises, usually bicep curls and calf raises.

I'm not far behind you at 45, but I started lifting only one year ago. Having jumped into BBing relatively late in the game, I'm doing as much research as possible for continued motivation and success. Thanks once again for your reply to this and my other questions.