ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Protein and Fiber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:06 pm 
Something that I would appreciate clarity on. I eat whole wheat spaghetti for it's fiber content, and in trying to make balanced meals, usually add some kind of meat to it. Problem is I've heard that fiber somehow "get in the way" or rather doesn't allow proper absorbtion of the protein. Is this true? Would this apply to any meal where the carbohydrate source is of high fiber?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:33 pm 

I can't say I have heard of such a thing.

As far as I have heard fiber is the one thing everyone needs more of so I think if there were negative aspects, more people would have raised the questions more publicly.

Others on the board may know something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:05 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi, well I'm with Ryan. Fibers and fats have thr properties of slowing down digestion, which, IMO is a good thing, but I've never heard of it being selective to anything, including proteins. It just keeps a slowed down absorption rate of all macronutients, and keeps down the possibilities of spiking insulin way down. I'd say, yes, go with fiber and protein. The only exeption I could possibly see is with a post workout meal, and you were actually trying to load glycogen, but for most people, I really don't think that is necessary.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:37 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Basically, if you are American, you are not getting enough fiber, period. There are some statistics out there pointing out that 9 out of 10 Americans don't get their daily recommended amount of fiber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:34 pm 
Thank you very much for the advise. I've forgotten where I even first heard of such a thing, but it said the same for combinations of pro, fiber, and calcium. Ah what the hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm 
If it weren't for my powdered fiber, I'd be up the creek. And yes, I'm an American. Just seeing how many of us eat at McDonald's ... well, I'll let that one go.