ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'm not up to date with the effect of soy to the body (actually I hardly read anything about food), I just know that it's a "good" source of protein but also contain phytoestrogens (or something) which some people say isn't good for males if consumed beyond certain amount.

Because I'm too lazy to find and read articles about soy, I'd like to listen what your opinions are about eating soy instead :green: Because I also like how it taste, I'm starting to eat approximately a handful (dry/uncooked) of soy each day. Do you think that I'm gonna start to develop man boobs?

Post subject: Re: Soy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The most recent evidence is overturning the anti-soy studies. So it looks like it's ok. It's technically a complete source of protein by one definition of that. However the ratios are a little off, so in another way it's not. However combining it with other incomplete proteins works. Of course having meat along with it does the trick too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:25 am 

Here in China, shops sell fresh warm soy milk by the bowl to girls who drink it every day for breakfast hoping and praying that their flat little chests will develop into something impressive. Soy far it does not appear to be working.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:45 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

:laughing4:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:27 am 

Soy is estrogenic, as are a lot of things in the environment like plastic (BPA is the obvious culprit), hormones in commercial meat and dairy, pesticides, some skin products, excess omega 6 and alcohol. Estrogen has a lot of negative consequences like muscle wasting and fat gain, enlarged prostate, some cancers, etc.

If you have studies that contradict this, follow the money.

Bam, estrogen can cause early puberty in girls. I think if they're meant to have a flat chest, they'll just get there earlier..

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 am 

Name a benefit from soy that I can't get from natural meat or dairy.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:09 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

it turns you into a girl. Avoid it at all costs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm not so sure about this soy controversy. On the one hand, I'm no longer shaving my legs every day. But on the other hand, my vagina is less sensitive.
You take the good with the bad

thanks for assist RS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Name a benefit from soy that I can't get from natural meat or dairy.

Which one is worse, soy or "commercial" meat and dairy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I assume it's all commercial filth.

By the way... if commercial didn't grow their plants they way they do now (commercially - hydroponics, fertilizer rich, insecticide filmed, etc.) most of the plantable (organically grown) land today would be barren of nutrients within a few years in order to maintain the worlds demand on food. I don't see much wrong with commercially grown anything... meat/veggies/whatever these days. hehe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

[quote="jlmoss"]
most of the plantable (organically grown) land today would be barren of nutrients within a few years in order to maintain the worlds demand on food.

Where'd you get that idea? the fertilizer/insecticide corporations?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:17 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Not sure, read it somewhere. Can't remember the source. It makes sense though. Our world is so massively populated, we'd have a hard time supporting our entire world population for too long doing all organically grown foods. One can only cycle their plants that use a different set of nutrients from the ground before the cycle just runs into it's a$$ end. At some point in time, someone would have to fertilize to replenish the soil, then insecticide for the obvious reasons, then back to all commercialized again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Travis wrote:
jlmoss wrote:
most of the plantable (organically grown) land today would be barren of nutrients within a few years in order to maintain the worlds demand on food.

Where'd you get that idea? the fertilizer/insecticide corporations?

It's hard to sort out.

The Amish use no heavy machinery, they rotate crops, let fields lie fallow and are not in it for the money, produce at a surplus and they continue to buy up land across the American Midwest.

Agribusiness is in it for the money, so they prefer heavy equipment over laborers (where possible for stuff like corn and wheat), the fertilizer, irrigation and pesticides are there to minimize chance and acts of nature, to make the profits predictable.

So could the Amish style feed the world? Funny thing is, for all of the talk of Agribusiness of the absolute necessity of their methods and the tremendous benefit to a "hungry planet", they produce enough to feed the world but plenty of people are starving. How does that work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:24 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
On the one hand, I'm no longer shaving my legs every day. But on the other hand, my vagina is less sensitive.
Oscar -- you're killin' me.

Stuward wrote:
Bam, estrogen can cause early puberty in girls. I think if they're meant to have a flat chest, they'll just get there earlier..
When I say girls, I mean 20+ y.o. Chinese females -- which by American standards -- emotionally, physically -- they're about 15 y.o. I know this isn't conclusive evidence, but it just seems strange -- I would've expected to see an increase in females maturing at a younger age in China where the consumption of soy is comparatively high. I've been here for over 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

After reading several articles, I have the impression that they can't even decide how much soy consumption in (some part of) the Asian population is.