ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

:headbang:

*gets out the popcorn*

:dontknow:

Don't let the troll draw you in!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mdog wrote:
nerve energy was term that I made up, from what I remembered of my conversation. I'm not a neurodentist and I dont know if you are. Your outlook on this topic is very childish as you dont use any facts to back up your opinion. Rutgers University did a double blind study on college level basketball players and there were significant findings in improved peak power output and vertical jump.

I will be posting other peer reviewed articles for your viewing and reading pleasure. I am trying to contribute to this community as I have been visiting this site since 2002.

MDog

Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds.
-Albert Einstein

His outlook is skeptical actually. Mine is too. Without skepticism, one ends up believing in all kinds of bull$h1t, as evidenced by your posts. You are clearly making up that study. Based on human anatomy, your claims are actually impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:56 am 
n00b
n00b

alright I will break this down as simply as I can, God help me,

You have a part of the brain called the mid-brain, it has multiple functions some of which are balance, stability and respiratory function. The mid brain also has a branch of cranial nerves that innervate your TMJ( jaw ). What happens is that your jaw is the most used joint in your body from the day your born, it can also suffer from poor posture, trauma, teeth grinding etc.. As a result your mid brain has to work harder over time to offset all the changes your jaw goes through. What the mouth guard does it decompresses the jaw allowing for effecient nerve conduction. This results in a more effecient mid brain and this is where the gains in balance( core strength ) are found.

I wonder if jungledoc even bothered to read the article.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:58 am 
n00b
n00b

If I am not allowed to post links to any journals, how am I suppose to post the article??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:16 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

mdog wrote:
If I am not allowed to post links to any journals, how am I suppose to post the article??

Let's pretend you don't have a vested interest in pushing these. Why do you care if Doc buys into this? Why do you care if anyone does?

Here's excerpts from something

"While this particular philosophy has been researched for over 40 years, technological advances in medical science have enhanced precise measurements and allowed research findings to be more consistent and evident in recent years. From this research has come the {NAME OF MOUTHGUARD}, and many dentists believe it can unlock hidden potential in every athlete. When the {NAME OF MOUTHGUARD} is fitted properly by a trained dentist and the overbite is adjusted to relax the previously constricted TMJ, facial, head, neck, trap, deltoid (shoulder), glute (buttocks) and hamstring muscles eased."
[....]
{NAME OF MOUTHGUARD} creator Dr. Anil Makkar explained that “Where the TMJ is located, there is a nerve called the Cranial Nerve #5. When the jaw comes down into that relaxed position it releases itself from that nerve and then right away you’ve got an increase in balance. If that nerve is pinched there becomes a distortion of balance. Other parts of your body are compensating because of your jaw position.”

That shoud help your cause, immensely
What is your cause?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So we should be able to test this by doing some balance tests. They can be done with the jaw clenched, and then relaxed. Perhaps a balance game on Wii Fit?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

That company doesnt even exist anymore, lol. Hey, live in the shadows I could care less. Ignorance is still blissful and strong.

Mdog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:07 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Shame, seemed so promising

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 am 
n00b
n00b

Ironman wrote:
So we should be able to test this by doing some balance tests. They can be done with the jaw clenched, and then relaxed. Perhaps a balance game on Wii Fit?

actually there are several tests that can be done with a simple pen or pencil. you place a pencil horizontally directly behind you lower incisor, the pointy ones, and clamp down on it but dont try to break it. What you have now done is decompressed your jaw by moving it down and forward. Now the testing portion;

Stand on one leg with your arm on the same side as as your non-weightbearing leg extended out to the side. So lets say you stand on your right leg and your left leg off the ground. 90 deg hip flx and 90 deg knee flex. Your left arm should be abducted 90 deg. Then get your friend to push directly downward on your extended left arm at the elbow joint. You dont need a lot of pressure, even pushing down with 2 fingers should be enough to disturb the balance and you will tip over. Try it again with the pen positioned as above and you will not tip over, guarnteed. I have been a liscenced healthcare provider in the GTA area for 10 years. I have never seen my patients improve their ROm and balance as quickly as they have with these mouthguards.

There are several other tests that can be preformed P.M me directly if you want to know how to test them

Mdog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:26 am 
n00b
n00b

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
mdog wrote:

Let's pretend you don't have a vested interest in pushing these. Why do you care if Doc buys into this? Why do you care if anyone does?

Here's excerpts from something

"While this particular philosophy has been researched for over 40 years, technological advances in medical science have enhanced precise measurements and allowed research findings to be more consistent and evident in recent years. From this research has come the {NAME OF MOUTHGUARD}, and many dentists believe it can unlock hidden potential in every athlete. When the {NAME OF MOUTHGUARD} is fitted properly by a trained dentist and the overbite is adjusted to relax the previously constricted TMJ, facial, head, neck, trap, deltoid (shoulder), glute (buttocks) and hamstring muscles eased."
[....]
{NAME OF MOUTHGUARD} creator Dr. Anil Makkar explained that “Where the TMJ is located, there is a nerve called the Cranial Nerve #5. When the jaw comes down into that relaxed position it releases itself from that nerve and then right away you’ve got an increase in balance. If that nerve is pinched there becomes a distortion of balance. Other parts of your body are compensating because of your jaw position.”

That shoud help your cause, immensely
What is your cause?

Fair enough, I will copy and paste the scientific explanations without using any company names. I see what your concerns may be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:40 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Would you tell us what interest you have in this?
Is it just to educate us?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am 
n00b
n00b

Like I mentioned earlier, I have been visiting this site for some time. I have tried the testing and am sharing it with ppl that visit this forum. If you guys dont want to try it, its cool I dont care but I do have an issue with those that chose to be ignorant and just react without logic. Actually thats fine as well, its something interesting that I am sure most people havent heard of so I shared it. I have no hidden motive, or agenda. You guys crack me up,

Mdog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:12 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I actually think it's quite interesting, and definitely fits with the idea that a muscle tightness somewhere in the body will affect another muscle somewhere else. It's like that trick you do where you roll the ball of your foot for a couple of minutes on a hockey ball and it loosens up your hamstrings. They're probably not the same thing but they are in my mind.

Mdog, the reason everyone was a bit off with you is your post looked an awful lot like you were a mouthguard salesman trying to ply your wares. There's a lot of that goes on in the forum and can make us all a little jaded. It's nothing personal. The fact that you stuck around to defend yourself goes a long way towards proving that you don't run a mouthguard sales website, so kudos to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:31 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks ,

I will continue to chime in with tidbits that I feel contribute to fitness or health to board members. BTW has anyone heard of those powerbands!!they are amazing...lol, jk

Mdog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:24 pm 

There are a number of suppliers of resistance bands. Jumpstretch and Iron Woddy are popular and the ones I own are Kilo Bands.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next