ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:00 am 
Offline
Novice
Novice

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:52 am
Posts: 55
nygmen wrote:
Wasn't feeling it on the drive home, so I decided to punish myself for considering taking tonight off. Plus I wasn't really feeling rows...

lol, now that's dedication.

I'm doing similar today, I feel horrific, and bad luck for me 'cause it's deadlifts today.
Your lifts are incredible, I can only hope to reach that one day, good job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
carlito wrote:
nygmen wrote:
Wasn't feeling it on the drive home, so I decided to punish myself for considering taking tonight off. Plus I wasn't really feeling rows...

lol, now that's dedication.

I'm doing similar today, I feel horrific, and bad luck for me 'cause it's deadlifts today.


Haha, it's just a mind set that you are never good enough, and your not going to make progress sitting on the couch. I mean, you need to rest, but then again, I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Some of the days I felt the worst I had the best days in the gym, some of the days I felt great ended up being $h1t sessions.

Quote:
Your lifts are incredible, I can only hope to reach that one day, good job.


Thanks man, I've got a long way to go, but thanks just the same. Keep in mind I'm 245-250lbs, so for my size I'm not that strong.

You'll get there. Just keep your nose to the grindstone, stay consistent and eat enough to grow and you'll be good to go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Posts: 5247
Location: New Jersey
I'm glad you like it. It's got a really great core - the weight is light for the goal reps, but just heavy enough to get you a little bigger and a littler stronger . . . and then you let your own awesomeness determine how much you smash that rep count. I've had days were I barely got the 1 on the 1+ day and then the next cycle got 5 or 6 reps on a weight 5 pounds heavier. Auto-regulation without me having to plan too much for it.

I had to force my two buddies to take the deloads over their strenuous objections. But one of them is on, uhm, cycle 18 or 19 or something of trap bar deadlifts and is a few hundred pounds over his old PRs so he dropped it after a while. :)

_________________
--
Peter V. Dell'Orto
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
pdellorto wrote:
I'm glad you like it. It's got a really great core - the weight is light for the goal reps, but just heavy enough to get you a little bigger and a littler stronger . . . and then you let your own awesomeness determine how much you smash that rep count. I've had days were I barely got the 1 on the 1+ day and then the next cycle got 5 or 6 reps on a weight 5 pounds heavier. Auto-regulation without me having to plan too much for it.

I had to force my two buddies to take the deloads over their strenuous objections. But one of them is on, uhm, cycle 18 or 19 or something of trap bar deadlifts and is a few hundred pounds over his old PRs so he dropped it after a while. :)


I'm happy I've resisted the temptation to add 10lbs a cycle...

I'll need the deload coming up soon, but not yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Posts: 5247
Location: New Jersey
nygmen wrote:
I'm happy I've resisted the temptation to add 10lbs a cycle...


Lower weight = more volume. You've got to love that part. :)

_________________
--
Peter V. Dell'Orto
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:17 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
nygmen wrote:
Side delts are screaming right now

Mine are screaming after reading your post!

Why do you alternate the weights the way you do on the raises?

I'm going to read more about raises--it seems to help my lat delts a lot. Later if I plateau, I may actually exercise them.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:43 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
Jungledoc wrote:

Why do you alternate the weights the way you do on the raises?



Light sets are done very strict. The good pump and feel helps translate to the heavier sets not just me heaving the weight up.

Basically the light sets help me benefit from the heavier sets by pre-fatiguing my pre-fatigue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
nygmen wrote:
Basically the light sets help me benefit from the heavier sets by pre-fatiguing my pre-fatigue.

:laughing4:

So would it help me more if I read about pre-fatigue prior to reading about side delts? I hope so.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:59 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
Have you spent some time at your soon to be regular gym?
You know, grass always greener rule

hey go respond
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5429


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:56 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Have you spent some time at your soon to be regular gym?
You know, grass always greener rule


I know the right questions to ask at this point. Plus it isn't a globo chain. It is an independent owned, keypad entry type place. I'm about 90% they provide chains and bands. I can't imagine a place that has a reverse hyper, chains and bands is going to complain if I drop a pull rather than strain a muscle trying to ease down a deadlift because I don't want to get kicked out of the place I'm at now.

I'm super pissed at that woman right now. I mean I've been pulling for 4 flipping years and now she has a problem?


Quote:


I have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:11 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
nygmen wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Have you spent some time at your soon to be regular gym?
You know, grass always greener rule


I know the right questions to ask at this point. Plus it isn't a globo chain. It is an independent owned, keypad entry type place. I'm about 90% they provide chains and bands. I can't imagine a place that has a reverse hyper, chains and bands is going to complain if I drop a pull rather than strain a muscle trying to ease down a deadlift because I don't want to get kicked out of the place I'm at now.

I'm super pissed at that woman right now. I mean I've been pulling for 4 flipping years and now she has a problem?


yeah, I meant to chime in on my sympathy here. Sucks. Screwing your regulars like that just to think you're maintaining a more gentle, safe, environment for the ones who will quit in two months.

nygmen wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:


I have.

read it, Thanks for the insight to your head.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:11 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Wow! Chains, GHR, reverse hyper! Sounds like a really great gym!

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:27 pm 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 am
Posts: 337
Location: Buckhannon, WV
At first, I was confused about the chains. I was picturing having the chains balanced on top of the weights or something, lol. I looked it up though. Open ended big chains with one end connected to the bar which would cumulatively make the weight of the bar a good bit more as you reach the top of your exercise, effectively working on a possible sticking point at the top of the lift. Bands would be used in sort of the same manner except they wouldn't be open ended, rather anchored to the ground.

Very nice, I'm jealous you found such a nice gym, hehe. I am sure you are just brimming with joy? Did you get to give it your first 'grunt' without everyone swinging their head around to look at you? :headbang:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:24 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
Jungledoc wrote:
Wow! Chains, GHR, reverse hyper! Sounds like a really great gym!


that's exactly what I was about to say. I'm so jealous. Out of all of those I'd want the reverse hyper most. Although I've always wanted to lift with chains. Just looks so awesome


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:13 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
robertscott wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
Wow! Chains, GHR, reverse hyper! Sounds like a really great gym!


that's exactly what I was about to say. I'm so jealous. Out of all of those I'd want the reverse hyper most. Although I've always wanted to lift with chains. Just looks so awesome



Yeah guys, it is pretty flipping awesome. I am going to have some adjustments on other lifts, but I'm looking forward to the new toys.

This place is 120 yards closer to my house and $15 dollars cheaper than the other place too, lol.



jlmoss wrote:
At first, I was confused about the chains. I was picturing having the chains balanced on top of the weights or something, lol. I looked it up though. Open ended big chains with one end connected to the bar which would cumulatively make the weight of the bar a good bit more as you reach the top of your exercise, effectively working on a possible sticking point at the top of the lift. Bands would be used in sort of the same manner except they wouldn't be open ended, rather anchored to the ground.

Very nice, I'm jealous you found such a nice gym, hehe. I am sure you are just brimming with joy? Did you get to give it your first 'grunt' without everyone swinging their head around to look at you? :headbang:


AHAH, Yeah I'm pretty happy. It isn't perfect, but pretty flipping sweet so I'm not about to complain. I can work around the stuff I want that isn't there.

Yeah, i guess you're right abotu the chains. Right now I'm just using them because of how flipping cool they are to have attached to the bar, lol


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group