ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:00 am 
Novice
Novice

nygmen wrote:
Wasn't feeling it on the drive home, so I decided to punish myself for considering taking tonight off. Plus I wasn't really feeling rows...

lol, now that's dedication.

I'm doing similar today, I feel horrific, and bad luck for me 'cause it's deadlifts today.
Your lifts are incredible, I can only hope to reach that one day, good job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 pm 

carlito wrote:
nygmen wrote:
Wasn't feeling it on the drive home, so I decided to punish myself for considering taking tonight off. Plus I wasn't really feeling rows...

lol, now that's dedication.

I'm doing similar today, I feel horrific, and bad luck for me 'cause it's deadlifts today.

Haha, it's just a mind set that you are never good enough, and your not going to make progress sitting on the couch. I mean, you need to rest, but then again, I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Some of the days I felt the worst I had the best days in the gym, some of the days I felt great ended up being $h1t sessions.

Quote:
Your lifts are incredible, I can only hope to reach that one day, good job.

Thanks man, I've got a long way to go, but thanks just the same. Keep in mind I'm 245-250lbs, so for my size I'm not that strong.

You'll get there. Just keep your nose to the grindstone, stay consistent and eat enough to grow and you'll be good to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'm glad you like it. It's got a really great core - the weight is light for the goal reps, but just heavy enough to get you a little bigger and a littler stronger . . . and then you let your own awesomeness determine how much you smash that rep count. I've had days were I barely got the 1 on the 1+ day and then the next cycle got 5 or 6 reps on a weight 5 pounds heavier. Auto-regulation without me having to plan too much for it.

I had to force my two buddies to take the deloads over their strenuous objections. But one of them is on, uhm, cycle 18 or 19 or something of trap bar deadlifts and is a few hundred pounds over his old PRs so he dropped it after a while. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 pm 

pdellorto wrote:
I'm glad you like it. It's got a really great core - the weight is light for the goal reps, but just heavy enough to get you a little bigger and a littler stronger . . . and then you let your own awesomeness determine how much you smash that rep count. I've had days were I barely got the 1 on the 1+ day and then the next cycle got 5 or 6 reps on a weight 5 pounds heavier. Auto-regulation without me having to plan too much for it.

I had to force my two buddies to take the deloads over their strenuous objections. But one of them is on, uhm, cycle 18 or 19 or something of trap bar deadlifts and is a few hundred pounds over his old PRs so he dropped it after a while. :)

I'm happy I've resisted the temptation to add 10lbs a cycle...

I'll need the deload coming up soon, but not yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 am 

nygmen wrote:
I'm happy I've resisted the temptation to add 10lbs a cycle...

Lower weight = more volume. You've got to love that part. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:17 pm 

nygmen wrote:
Side delts are screaming right now

Mine are screaming after reading your post!

Why do you alternate the weights the way you do on the raises?

I'm going to read more about raises--it seems to help my lat delts a lot. Later if I plateau, I may actually exercise them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:43 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:

Why do you alternate the weights the way you do on the raises?

Light sets are done very strict. The good pump and feel helps translate to the heavier sets not just me heaving the weight up.

Basically the light sets help me benefit from the heavier sets by pre-fatiguing my pre-fatigue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 pm 

nygmen wrote:
Basically the light sets help me benefit from the heavier sets by pre-fatiguing my pre-fatigue.

:laughing4:

So would it help me more if I read about pre-fatigue prior to reading about side delts? I hope so.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:59 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Have you spent some time at your soon to be regular gym?
You know, grass always greener rule

hey go respond
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5429

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:56 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:

I know the right questions to ask at this point. Plus it isn't a globo chain. It is an independent owned, keypad entry type place. I'm about 90% they provide chains and bands. I can't imagine a place that has a reverse hyper, chains and bands is going to complain if I drop a pull rather than strain a muscle trying to ease down a deadlift because I don't want to get kicked out of the place I'm at now.

I'm super pissed at that woman right now. I mean I've been pulling for 4 flipping years and now she has a problem?

Quote:

I have.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:11 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

nygmen wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:

I know the right questions to ask at this point. Plus it isn't a globo chain. It is an independent owned, keypad entry type place. I'm about 90% they provide chains and bands. I can't imagine a place that has a reverse hyper, chains and bands is going to complain if I drop a pull rather than strain a muscle trying to ease down a deadlift because I don't want to get kicked out of the place I'm at now.

I'm super pissed at that woman right now. I mean I've been pulling for 4 flipping years and now she has a problem?

yeah, I meant to chime in on my sympathy here. Sucks. Screwing your regulars like that just to think you're maintaining a more gentle, safe, environment for the ones who will quit in two months.

nygmen wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:

I have.

read it, Thanks for the insight to your head.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:11 pm 

Wow! Chains, GHR, reverse hyper! Sounds like a really great gym!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:27 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

At first, I was confused about the chains. I was picturing having the chains balanced on top of the weights or something, lol. I looked it up though. Open ended big chains with one end connected to the bar which would cumulatively make the weight of the bar a good bit more as you reach the top of your exercise, effectively working on a possible sticking point at the top of the lift. Bands would be used in sort of the same manner except they wouldn't be open ended, rather anchored to the ground.

Very nice, I'm jealous you found such a nice gym, hehe. I am sure you are just brimming with joy? Did you get to give it your first 'grunt' without everyone swinging their head around to look at you? :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:24 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:

that's exactly what I was about to say. I'm so jealous. Out of all of those I'd want the reverse hyper most. Although I've always wanted to lift with chains. Just looks so awesome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:13 pm 

robertscott wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

that's exactly what I was about to say. I'm so jealous. Out of all of those I'd want the reverse hyper most. Although I've always wanted to lift with chains. Just looks so awesome

Yeah guys, it is pretty flipping awesome. I am going to have some adjustments on other lifts, but I'm looking forward to the new toys.

This place is 120 yards closer to my house and $15 dollars cheaper than the other place too, lol.

jlmoss wrote:
At first, I was confused about the chains. I was picturing having the chains balanced on top of the weights or something, lol. I looked it up though. Open ended big chains with one end connected to the bar which would cumulatively make the weight of the bar a good bit more as you reach the top of your exercise, effectively working on a possible sticking point at the top of the lift. Bands would be used in sort of the same manner except they wouldn't be open ended, rather anchored to the ground.

Very nice, I'm jealous you found such a nice gym, hehe. I am sure you are just brimming with joy? Did you get to give it your first 'grunt' without everyone swinging their head around to look at you? :headbang:

AHAH, Yeah I'm pretty happy. It isn't perfect, but pretty flipping sweet so I'm not about to complain. I can work around the stuff I want that isn't there.

Yeah, i guess you're right abotu the chains. Right now I'm just using them because of how flipping cool they are to have attached to the bar, lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next